Rink Grips are Delicious?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
fhorrigan

Rink Grips are Delicious?

Post by fhorrigan »

For awhile I've been craving a Rink Grip; but I didn't realize they might actually be tasty.

I finally ordered one, which arrived a few days ago, and excitedly installed it on my FWB 103. It looked beautiful and fit my hand perfectly. But I noticed it had an odor that transferred to my hand, presumably from the “Scherell´s stock oil light” they use to finish the wood.

The next day when I went to try the pistol I was surprised (to say the least) to find the grip swarming with ants! At least a hundred, crawling all over the surface as well as inside the grip. Again, I assume this has something to do with the stock oil.

I live in Houston Texas, where ants are a problem. Tiny ones. You don't normally see them. But if you leave out a piece of sweet or greasy food they will soon find it, and bring their friends. That said, they usually aren't too interested in vegetable oil. Is the secret ingredient in “Scherell´s stock oil light” German sausage grease?!!

After I took apart and cleaned the grip (luckily a 2-piece design), I had a chance to use it, and was very impressed. In fact my first group was a 48 out of 50 - as good as I have ever done before. Then an ant marched across my rear sight and wrecked my concentration...

I hope this isn't a common problem. My pistol is now sealed in an airtight container (like most of my food). Can anyone tell me how long it takes for the stock oil odor to dissipate?
Dr. Jim

Re: Rink Grips are Delicious?

Post by Dr. Jim »

It might be based on 'tung oil' which is derived from a tropical nut. If so, I can affirm that in open air the scent lingers for several months.

Dr J
jbshooter

Post by jbshooter »

In my experience it only takes about a week or two. I now order most of my grips unoiled and unstippled and with a bottle of Scherel oil, that way you can alter them to suit you exactly, oil afterwards and enjoy.
-TT-

Post by -TT- »

fhorrigan wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:09 amThen an ant marched across my rear sight and wrecked my concentration...
That is absolutely priceless!

I suggest contacting Rink, they have a web form and are quite responsive. And I'd love to hear what they say.
gimgim

Post by gimgim »

Texan (Brownsville) ants seem to like coolant as well
Attachments
IM000745.jpeg
fhorrigan

Post by fhorrigan »

-TT- wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 2:04 pm I suggest contacting Rink, they have a web form and are quite responsive. And I'd love to hear what they say.
Good idea. I just sent an email to Thomas Rink. He was very responsive during the fitting and shipping process.
marky-d

Post by marky-d »

Yeah, but so do neighborhood cats and dogs...don't leave an open container of coolant out, or you will have some pretty upset neighbors.
fhorrigan

Post by fhorrigan »

gimgim wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 2:29 pm Texan (Brownsville) ants seem to like coolant as well
They also like toothpaste! I routinely set out ant bait in my bathroom so that they don't find my tooth brush. I may have to do the same in my shooting range (hallway).
fhorrigan

Post by fhorrigan »

Mr. Rink responded that he has never heard of this problem before. Although the enthusiastic title of his email "Ants love the grip!" suggests he appreciates the new customers.

He says the stock oil itself is usually odorless, but Ballistol adds lavender scent to make it smell pleasant. He suggested they might be attracted to that. But if I search for lavender and ants the first thing that comes up is that lavender oil can be used as a natural ant repellent! So I assume the stock oil itself must be extra tasty, at least to Houston ants. Scherell's - the Texas barbecue sauce of stock oils!

Rink says the odor should be gone in a few weeks. I had asked him if there was any way to speed up the process (e.g. by heating the grip) - and he said it should be faster if I put it out in the sun. I guess I'll just wait. I transferred the pistol to a pelican-like (Nanuk) case and that keeps out the ants. I just have to remember to keep it closed when not in use.
-TT-

Post by -TT- »

Hilarious. Bury it in Potpourri!

I think putting it in a case will delay the curing process, by a lot. Can you maybe put it outside, hanging from something, or even inside with a breeze across it?
fhorrigan

Post by fhorrigan »

-TT- wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 10:42 am I think putting it in a case will delay the curing process, by a lot. Can you maybe put it outside, hanging from something, or even inside with a breeze across it?
Good point! I bet I can rig up a way to hang it under a ceiling fan.