Walther LP300 - steer, advice and so on...?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Walnut92

Walther LP300 - steer, advice and so on...?

Post by Walnut92 »

So, the owner of the Walther LP300 which I borrowed has decided to sell it to me. I'm very happy as I am getting on with it very well - and as my other posts admit had caused me to 'want' a match pistol. However, this is a more economic option, especially given that I'm not any sort of expert.

Any steer or advice that anyone would like to proffer on owning or using or maintaining the LP300?

It was calibrated with 4.49 pellets, so that's what I'm using, although I imagine this isn't going to be critical for me.
Rover

Re: Walther LP300 - steer, advice and so on...?

Post by Rover »

It is not "calibrated" for 4.49 pellets, so use whatever you like. I recommend cheap RWS Basics.
Walnut92

Post by Walnut92 »

I realised someone would object to that word as soon as I posted it - should have changed it to "the certificate provided with the gun indicates it was produced with 4.49mm pellets".

Seeing that you have raised/objected to this, I'd nonetheless like to learn why it was specifically shot at the factory with 4.49 not 4.48, 4.50 or 4.51.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

My understanding is that the test groups are shot with whatever size of pellet they already have a tin open. If it passes, they ship the pistol. That's probably 99 out of 100 pistols. If they aren't happy with the group, they may try another pellet size, and if that doesn't work, they send it back for a new barrel.
RJP

Post by RJP »

If the price is right and the grip fits you, jump on this AP. Unless you are an Olympic class shooter, you most probably will not benefit from anything newer.

A few words of caution. You may need a new air cylinder. My experience is that they will fail after 8 to 10 years depending on use and your maximum fill pressure. Also, an older gun may need service. I had mine resealed by Pilkguns a few years ago. It shoots like new.
Walnut92

Post by Walnut92 »

Bought it.

Yes, ordered a new cylinder as a precaution. Shoots spot on.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Gwhite wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 8:25 am My understanding is that the test groups are shot with whatever size of pellet they already have a tin open. If it passes, they ship the pistol. That's probably 99 out of 100 pistols. If they aren't happy with the group, they may try another pellet size, and if that doesn't work, they send it back for a new barrel.
Gwhite has it exactly right. They do NOT do pellet testing just for YOU.

I still recommend RWS Basics. Everyone who tries them (doesn't sip the Kool-Ade) stays with them.