I don't know which hand to shoot...

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Rhyno

I don't know which hand to shoot...

Post by Rhyno »

So, this has recently come up after shooting my real firearm and dry firing it, but I cannot find a noticeable difference in hold or trigger feel from my right and left hand... Is this normal? I am in the process of purchasing my first air pistol and realizing how important the grip is. I am clearly left eye dominant and very much a left handed rifle shooter, but now i'm wondering if I could maybe be a right handed pistol shooter? Am I abnormally crazy? In a perfect world, I would shoot right handed and not deal with all of the hard to find left hand equipment, but that just seems so dang awkward to me. I do feel more "comfortable" finding a shooting position left handed, but that's only because I've been doing it that way my whole life. Ironically, shooting right handed is visually more comfortable as I am facing the same direction as I did in rifle...

I would love your input!
Ray Dash

Re: I don't know which hand to shoot...

Post by Ray Dash »

If it feels good and you are left eye dominate then I would stick with left handed. I am a righty that is left eye dom and sometimes its a pain. I tried shooting lefty but it just feels weird to me.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

The best approach is generally to shoot with your dominant eye and dominant hand:

https://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/nw ... msupp.html

Rink makes pistol grips with a 7 degree offset just for this purpose.
Rover

Post by Rover »

If it tastes good, eat it.

If it feels good, do it.
DanielSwe

Post by DanielSwe »

Been there..
I'm lefthanded, shoot rifle from my left shoulder/left eye and my left eye is/was dominant.

Sarted shooting pistol 14 years ago and noticed during beginners course that it just felt better holding it (haha) in my right hand and
sighting with the right eye. Used a patch first couple of years but abandoned it. Now my right eye has practically taking over. Almost.

Go with what feels best for you, that should yield the best results. Just make sure you evaluate properly before deciding. '

Regards from Sweden
David M

Post by David M »

Cross domination can make for an awkard pistol stance.
Ray Dash

Post by Ray Dash »

When I was shooting righty using my left eye I noticed a pretty good cant in my pistol.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Cross-dominance is an inconvenience, not an impediment. Look up Károly Takács...
gimgim

Post by gimgim »

> Rink makes pistol grips with a 7 degree offset just for this purpose.

I have one on Ebay for sale right now.
I ordered to see whether it was better for the short fingers, but it didn't work well for me.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Just choose the hand you don't scratch your butt with.