Palm shelf question ?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
sal6781

Palm shelf question ?

Post by sal6781 »

Is there any set way to adjust the palm shelf correctly ? Should it fit tight, snug or lose ? Thank you.
Gwhite

Re: Palm shelf question ?

Post by Gwhite »

I wouldn't make it tight. Your hand will tend to swell depending on temperature, hydration, etc.,and you don't want it to get uncomfortable if you hand expands a bit.

The key thing is that your grasp on the pistol is consistent. It should serve as a locating feature to help that, but not serve as a clamp.
Dr.Lee

Post by Dr.Lee »

What’s a palm shelf ??

Dr.
divingin

Post by divingin »

Palm shelf is the flat piece at the bottom of the grip on a competition pistol. It sits against the base of the pinkie finger and back along the edge of the palm when gripping the pistol.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

divingin wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:51 pm Palm shelf is the flat piece at the bottom of the grip on a competition pistol. It sits against the base of the pinkie finger and back along the edge of the palm when gripping the pistol.
I think the question was asked because we recently had a thread asking why it was called the "palm shelf".

The ISSF refer to it as the "heel rest".
samg

Post by samg »

this is the way I adjust mine.
With the palm rest lose, no preasure on the hand, make sure the grip is firmly pushed into the web of your hand. Then locate the proper position for your fingers in the front of the grip and apply the preasure you normally use when gripping the pistol. Feel the weight of the pistol on your support finger under the triger guard. Bring up the palm rest and snug it in so there is more pressure on the back of your hand then on your little finger. Now feel the weight of the pistol again with your normal grip.

What you are looking for is a distribution of weight between the support finger under the trigger guard and the back of the palm rest on your hand. Think of the finger under the trigger guard as a fulcrum point between the front of the barrel and the point where the palm rest hits the back of your hand and try and neutralize the weight of the pistol.

This is a trial and error process. The main thing is feel your grip and balance the weight.

There are at least a thousand other ways to do this, but this is how I adjust a palm rest on my pistols.

Cheers... Sam
samg

Post by samg »

sal6781. Just as an after thought. This is a good video about basic grip adjustment. Good luck.

https://youtu.be/HlPMKysxCYY
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Another consideration when adjusting the palm shelf is to be aware that as your grip tightens and relaxes the size and shape of the shooting hand changes.

Not having the palm shelf too tight will avoid pressure being exerted and transferred to the grip when your grip pressure changes.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Another consideration when adjusting the palm shelf is to be aware that as your grip tightens and relaxes the size and shape of the shooting hand changes.

Not having the palm shelf too tight will avoid pressure being transferred to the grip which may result in sight misalignment.