Air Pistol Durability

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
holmqer

Air Pistol Durability

Post by holmqer »

After I got my IZH46M, I started tossing all the empty pellet tins in a box. I checked recently, and I have shot over to 40K pellets through it.

I've had to replace seals a couple times, but other than that no repair work needed, and it still shoots very accurately.

What I am wondering, is this typical durability for decent quality modern air pistols?

I would imagine that club guns get a lot more use than I am putting mine through.

All things break, and I am assuming that will happen someday with my IZH to the point where I can't fix it.
6string

Re: Air Pistol Durability

Post by 6string »

I have a friend who owns and uses a FWB 300s Air rifle daily.
He's pushing 500K rounds, documented in writing.
He is meticulous about maintenance,but not a fanatic.

Quality build reaps long term rewards.
Star7

Post by Star7 »

I have something like 35# of pellets through a 12yo izzy and so far only replaced breech seals. Usually due to not firmly latching the breech and putting them into low earth orbit.

Mine has lost about 30fps (down to about 420fps) so I probably need to think about some cleaning/seals. Even my Tau7 has gone quite a lot of shots with no troubles. I wish other devices in my life were half as satisfying and reliable.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

Quality modern air pistols have heirloom quality, and will last for several generations, it all depends on how you use and maintain your pistol.

My Izzy has around 20 K shots, they’re built like a tank (made in the same factory that makes the legendary AK-47) and should last a very long time. Seals and springs are parts that need to be replaced from time to time, there are some lemons out there, so your mileage may vary.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

Star7 wrote:I wish other devices in my life were half as satisfying and reliable.
That's because most of the devices in our lives have planned obsolescence or built-in obsolescence...
Rover

Post by Rover »

kevinweiho wrote:
Star7 wrote:I wish other devices in my life were half as satisfying and reliable.
That's because most of the devices in our lives have planned obsolescence or built-in obsolescence...
You mean like CO2 and PCP?
holmqer

Post by holmqer »

Thanks for information, it's good to know that I'm not living on borrowed time with my IZH or any decent quality modern AP. First club match of the season is this week.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

Rover wrote:
kevinweiho wrote:
You mean like CO2 and PCP?
Kinda, some old school technology was built/designed to last, look at the 9mm Luger and the .45, more than a 100 years later and still being used today...
django

Post by django »

@$2500 for high end air pistol est life for 15 year ( even more)
$167/year , $13,9/mont....i can accept that cost for my hobby. Lol
spektr

Post by spektr »

In 1992 my wife bought me my 777. Its been resealed once and is just as good as the day I first shot it. It still gets exercised every now and again. I would hate to think it has a 15 year service life and its going to magically explode in my hands next time I shoot it. Seriously guys, a quality air pistol will last a long time with reasonable care.... Hell, it took me years to buy an FWB P44 precisely for that reason. Finally I just got a blowgun because I could......