recoil absorber purpose? follow through?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
wasatch

recoil absorber purpose? follow through?

Post by wasatch »

Hello,
Prior to getting my P8X i had a MGH1 and before that a 162m. Now that im shooting the P8X w/ a recoil absorber i'm more motivated to follow through (because i can see what's happening without recoil disturbance) and my ability to call shots has improved significantly. I also think i'm better able to evaluate my triggering. With the previous pistols the recoil & muzzle jump would disrupt the sight picture and i wasn't able to make the evaluations like i feel i can now.

I don't think the absorber does anything to improve accuracy directly but it has helped me with some aspects of my process.

What are other's takes on the utility of the absorber & anti-flip barrel vents? I love the operation of my P8X: it is so still.
David M

Re: recoil absorber purpose? follow through?

Post by David M »

It sells more guns.......
Rover

Post by Rover »

David M wrote:It sells more guns.......

AND it turns loose lower priced top of the line guns and SSPs.
Christopher Miceli

Post by Christopher Miceli »

i think the recoil absorber hides information. pretty much the opposite of what you described.
william

Post by william »

I've done a fairly extensive study of absorbers and found that Bounty really does live up to its advertising, although ScottTowels are a good runner-up. However, best value for money is still a good store-brand paper towel.
ojh

Post by ojh »

Christopher Miceli wrote:i think the recoil absorber hides information. pretty much the opposite of what you described.
Could you please specify. What useful information does it hide?
Rover

Post by Rover »

What William just posted.
wasatch

Post by wasatch »

ojh wrote:
Christopher Miceli wrote:i think the recoil absorber hides information. pretty much the opposite of what you described.
Could you please specify. What useful information does it hide?
I'm interested too.
Christopher Miceli

Post by Christopher Miceli »

It hides feedback
dronning

Post by dronning »

Christopher Miceli wrote:It hides feedback
You still get feedback, just more subtle and no less valuable.
- Dave
Certified Safety Instructor: Rifle & Pistol
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~ Ben Franklin
David M

Post by David M »

Be careful, if a recoil absorber is not working well, it will completly throw out your group.
I have seen a Styer LP10 with a faulty sear release (intermittent) shoot poor groups, also a
Walther LP400 with a blocked air channel and the resultant intermittent release of the magnet
weight really throw shots.
On the other hand a single shot muzzle loader .44 cal with nothing but a barrel, shoots very well
and gives heaps of feedback.
Recoil reduction works well for follow on shots ie. rapid fire
Rover

Post by Rover »

Hey, if some guys want to try to buy points, thinking their new Eargesplittenloudenboomer turns all previous guns to shit, let them.

I've bought some great guns cheap due to that attitude.
wasatch

Post by wasatch »

Christopher Miceli wrote:It hides feedback
What feed back does it hide?

To me the absorber made some aspects more apparent.

Thanks!
j-team

Post by j-team »

David M wrote:Be careful, if a recoil absorber is not working well, it will completly throw out your group.
I have seen a Styer LP10 with a faulty sear release (intermittent) shoot poor groups...
Sorry but that's not the case. With the LP10 you can deliberately disable the absorber by pressing the latch on the top with your thumbnail prior to firing. It makes no difference to the group and such a tiny difference to the POI that you would have to be a 599 shooter to notice. Did this very exercise to prove that point with both LP10 and LP10e (and the Evo will be the same).
David M

Post by David M »

See the word intermittent....it working,,,no its not,,,its working,,,no its not.....
If you disable it, the results will be consistant.
These failures happened to top shooters during a match with poor results.
I don't break 'em, I only fix them.
j-team

Post by j-team »

The test we did was to alternate shots with and without absorber. No noticeable change of POI. It was done after hearing other people claim the same as you, strangely, most of the claims came from Morini shooters...

Perhaps your "top shooters" needed to justify a poor performance?
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

j-team wrote:The test we did was to alternate shots with and without absorber. No noticeable change of POI. It was done after hearing other people claim the same as you, strangely, most of the claims came from Morini shooters...

Perhaps your "top shooters" needed to justify a poor performance?
How was the pistol supported for the test? Free hand, or in a rest? I certainly wouldn't expect a difference from a rest.
scerir

Post by scerir »

I recommend reading the interview with Mikhail Nestruev where he describes fiddling with the absorber of his Steyr LP10 until he started feeling the recoil.

https://www.blogarama.com/hobbies-craft ... l-nestruev

-What do you think about the recoil absorbers that the P34 and the LP10 has as compared to say a P30 or an LP1?

I am not able to feel the shot absolutely, no movement at all. I just hear the ping and next I see the hit on the target and no feeling.

-Do you think the LP10 or the P34 with no movement is better to shoot than the unstabilized guns?

Absorbers and stabilizing systems are good for shooting but I have my own special kind of thinking. I change the movement from the absorbers in the Steyr. I can do this as a gunsmith, and also in the free pistol I want to have a small, very small recoil. Absolutely no recoil I am thinking is not so good and the reason is if I have a small, a very small recoil, but it must be the same from shot to shot, but I like to see the point I am shooting. That one moment when I have a very, very small jump from the barrel so I can see that point, that moment, when leaving the bullet from the barrel. So I know but it must be from shot to shot the same, and I have made a change from the position of the absorber, but it must be the absorber, not the compensator. In that case it maybe is not so good. It has an influence in the groups. I like to have a good result and I have good training, so I can shoot good, very good with any kind of pistol, it doesn't matter. But in bad days or not so good days, it is important to know (when the shot breaks). In the competition today, I have only made two good tens 10.8 and 10.7. By this I mean, every other ten was 10.2, 10.3 and so only two really good tens, but they were tens. So that means I was really not so good but never the less I can hit the ten, even by shooting this way I can win even on a day when I'm not so good. I am always thinking to hit the center of the ten for each shoot, center of the ten, center of the ten, each shot and I am always waiting when does it come, that shot, the center of the ten.
Last edited by scerir on Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
j-team

Post by j-team »

Gwhite wrote: How was the pistol supported for the test? Free hand, or in a rest? I certainly wouldn't expect a difference from a rest.
Offhand. By 2 reasonably competent shooters (560 ability).

If you have a Steyr, try it yourself, you just press the front of the release lever after loading but prior to shooting. It releases the absorber, you feel the slight pulse as it goes.
northpaw

Post by northpaw »

Absorbers (stabilizers), thanks or no thanks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivUwT5bHwT0
8 air pistols at the finals: 6 Morini 162s (no absorbers), just 2 Steyr Lp 10s (w/absorbers). The Morinis got the medals:

Are the absorbers really an advantage? Or just another variable?
Are we going to turn away from absorbers in the future?