A valuable service

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Rover

A valuable service

Post by Rover »

I constantly see people unhappy because their out-of-date AP cylinders no longer hold air. They care not that they are no longer legal in competition.

Is there no one out there who can/will rebuild these orphans?
Gwhite

Re: A valuable service

Post by Gwhite »

I had a leaking Morini cylinder, and investigated getting a replacement seal kit. They do exist, but I eventually determined that the gauge was leaking, A replacement for that cost a good fraction of the cost of a new cylinder, so I gave up on fixing it.

I have heard that at least one vendor will recertify cylinders, but the rules state "date of manufacture", so it's not clear how "legal" that is.
m1963

Post by m1963 »

We purchase new cylinders as needed, and retire the expired ones. Simply put, our lives are too short...
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

m1963 wrote:
We purchase new cylinders as needed, and retire the expired ones. Simply put, our lives are too short...
Where do you put the "retired" ones?
william

Post by william »

Rover wrote:I constantly see people unhappy because their out-of-date AP cylinders no longer hold air. They care not that they are no longer legal in competition.

Is there no one out there who can/will rebuild these orphans?
What's up? Is your M10 having problems? Air leakage is why I had to sell mine. Bummer, it was the best AP I've owned.
40xguy

Post by 40xguy »

As of Sept 9, 2018: a new Steyr compressed air cylinder, from Pilkguns, costs 225 US dollars, plus shipping. It sure be would be nice if someone rebuilt these and gave us another 5 years or so, instead of simply throwing them away !!
Hammer to shape, file to fit, paint to match...
prowling

Post by prowling »

Am I correct in recalling no such "freshness date" on CO2 cylinders? Nobody ever made a peep about it back in the day if there was ...
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

prowling wrote:Am I correct in recalling no such "freshness date" on CO2 cylinders? Nobody ever made a peep about it back in the day if there was ...
CO2 cylinders are included in the same ISSF rules as air cylinders.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

David Levene wrote:
prowling wrote:Am I correct in recalling no such "freshness date" on CO2 cylinders? Nobody ever made a peep about it back in the day if there was ...
CO2 cylinders are included in the same ISSF rules as air cylinders.
True, but I've seen some with no date stamp. Those are probably all over 10 years old by now, date or no date.

I've not sure what has happened with Tau-7's. They are wonderful introductory pistols, but if you bulk fill them, the "cylinder" is brazed to the frame. You can't exactly replace the entire frame every ten years. I suppose if you only use CO2 cartridges, it's theoretically OK.

I once asked Tau Brno about the "lifetime": of their CO2 bulk fill bottles, and they basically said it was infinite as far as they were concerned. Between the thick steel they used and the lower pressure of CO2, they should be safe pretty much indefinitely.
Rover

Post by Rover »

My point was that most don't give a shit about an expiration date and would like it if the older cylinders didn't leak.

Who out there can/will fix them and save us hundreds of $$$?

I've found the manometers on cylinders generally worthless, and so wouldn't care if they didn't work.
fc60

Post by fc60 »

Greetings,

The primary concern regarding the repair of cylinders is liability.

Should a 3,000 PSI cylinder fail, and someone gets hurt, imagine the field day the lawyers would have.

Cheers,

Dave
Rover

Post by Rover »

Yeah, they're dynamiting all over the place.
spektr

Post by spektr »

Ok, the rule is 10 years. Whatever...... At the end of 10 years I can buy another cylinder... Cool, as long as the manufacturers support them Im good. Amortise that and its still a bargain. My scuba tank costs me everytime I need to do a annual visual inspection and a periodic hydro, and we dont flinch at that....... I don't understand BUT some people make theit day by whining............
m1963

Post by m1963 »

spektr wrote:Ok, the rule is 10 years. Whatever...... At the end of 10 years I can buy another cylinder... Cool, as long as the manufacturers support them Im good. Amortise that and its still a bargain. My scuba tank costs me everytime I need to do a annual visual inspection and a periodic hydro, and we dont flinch at that....... I don't understand BUT some people make theit day by whining............

Exactly my point. Standards for compressed air exist in the dive industry, to protect all. Standards have been applied to PCP rifles and pistols, to protect all. I know how I care for my equipment, but I have no idea what the guy or gal next to me is doing. They may not know, either, as they probably bought their gun used,...
Rover

Post by Rover »

I enjoyed the eleven responses to my question, but why could no one answer that question, the point of the whole thing?
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

Rover wrote:I enjoyed the eleven responses to my question, but why could no one answer that question, the point of the whole thing?
I would venture a guess that everyone on this board is flabbergasted that you made a relevant post asking a legitimate question.

It's going to take us a few days to come to terms with this new development. Bear with us.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Last edited by deadeyedick on Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

fc60 wrote: The primary concern regarding the repair of cylinders is liability.

Should a 3,000 PSI cylinder fail, and someone gets hurt, imagine the field day the lawyers would have.
Especially when it was pointed out that the manufacturer said you must retire cylinders after 10 years.

Cylinder problems are thankfully very rare, but it would still need to be a very brave (or foolish) repairer to work on such a cylinder. Would they really risk everything so that you can avoid spending an extra 100 dollars?
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

What galls me about the whole 10 year thing is that Morini, Hammerli and others(?) used to certify their cylinders for 20 years. The cylinders Morini makes today are no different from the 20 year cylinders they made before the rule change.

I have zero problem with replacing a cylinder after 20 years. A ten year life puts a significant burden on dealers, who get to watch their cylinders decrease in value significantly sitting on a shelf. In the US, if you buy a "new" cylinder, it's often close to a year old already by the time they get from the manufacturer to the dealer, and then to a customer.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Now the count is fifteen with no answer.