Mystery device for Anschutz

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

James Storm

Mystery device for Anschutz

Post by James Storm »

I have what I believe is a device for allowing a left handed shooter to operate a right handed Anschutz rifle. Do any of the TT members have experience with this? It appears to be made in a production setting, such as the Anschutz factory. Thanks for your help. Jim Storm
Attachments
IMG_3645.JPG
IMG_3645.JPG (31.66 KiB) Viewed 2019 times
IMG_3642.JPG
IMG_3642.JPG (42.19 KiB) Viewed 2019 times
IMG_3643.JPG
IMG_3643.JPG (43.65 KiB) Viewed 2019 times
IMG_3647.JPG
IMG_3647.JPG (44.97 KiB) Viewed 2019 times
Tim S

Re: Mystery device for Anschutz

Post by Tim S »

Yes, it's a cross-over (or under) bolt handle. Anschutz didn't make a true left handed Match 54 until 1980. Previously they offered left handed stocks, and these adaptor handles. Dismantle the bolt, insert the new handle, and reassemble. I don't know if the adaptor handles were made after 1980 for 18xx/19xx rifles; there may not have been any demand, as new LH rifles were available, but I suppose clubs might have wanted one to save the expense of two rifles.

The plastic ball at the end of the handle suggests that it was made no earlier than 1978. I can't see the large clip-on spring detent inside the handle that a 14xx would have, although I can't see the later plunger-type either. As handles aren't interchangeable between 16, and 18xx models, and probably between 14 and 16xx too (at least for right handed bolts), it would be helpful to know what this was made as.
RobK

Post by RobK »

Hi Jim,

If you are looking to sell it please let me know.

Regards.
Robert
UA Rifle Guy

Post by UA Rifle Guy »

In the late 80's I had a left handed IBS (Itty-Bitty-Shooter) on my team struggling with her right handed 1407. So we made one of these for her and it worked great. She still had to struggle a little dropping the round into the chamber over the high wall on the left side, but that was a small price to pay to avoid having to reach clear over the rifle to work the bolt. It worked great unlocking and locking the bolt, but we had to use a little extra lube on the bolt for the opening and closing (sliding forward and rearward). The extra length on the bolt handle gives a little more sideways leverage on the bolt, encouraging it to bind when sliding. The extra lube helped a lot.
James Storm

Post by James Storm »

What are these devices worth and who would like one now? Users? Collectors?
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

James Storm wrote:What are these devices worth and who would like one now? Users? Collectors?
Anschutz list new handles for under €100, so that might give a rough idea. A sharper photo to determine which series this fits is necessary.

It's also relevant to remember that Anschutz set headspace with the handle. Dropping a random handle into a bolt may make headspace excessive, or too tight.
James Storm

Post by James Storm »

Robert ( from S. Africa ) I would like to sell it. Please contact me directly. jamesestormmd@yahoo.com