MG2 firing pin replacement instructions

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
metman

MG2 firing pin replacement instructions

Post by metman »

Are there instructions anywhere for replacing the MG2 firing pin? (MG2 mechanical trigger, not RF, although that shouldn't make a difference).
There is a vertical pin in the bolt/slide that is not indicated on the parts diagram that has me a bit puzzled. I am assuming that its purpose is to retain the firing pin. I've examined it closely and it almost looks like the retaining pin is a hollow tube with some kind of detent that moves when I touch lightly. Maybe it's simply got a peened end and isn't very tight. I'm just trying to inform myself before I start hammering on things.
I had sent an inquiry to MG but haven't heard back. I realize it's a holiday weekend now...
jbshooter

Re: MG2 firing pin replacement instructions

Post by jbshooter »

Wow! The firing pin is a big piece of steel. How did you break it?
j danielsson

Post by j danielsson »

The retainingpin om my mg2 was 2mm solid steel. Straight in shape, to knock either way.
The recess for the retainingpin in the firingpin is too deep. So they bend and crack. I changed 2 in a year.
metman

Post by metman »

j danielsson wrote:The retainingpin om my mg2 was 2mm solid steel. Straight in shape, to knock either way.
The recess for the retainingpin in the firingpin is too deep. So they bend and crack. I changed 2 in a year.
Thanks. I knocked the retaining pin out, mine is 1.9mmx7.7mm, a bit small and short. So it slides back and forth inside the bolt. What I mistook for a tube or roll pin was a circular staking around the holes on the bolt, that was keeping the retaining pin from falling out.
Now to wait for the replacement parts from Italy... I also need the disconnector pin.

I've cut a temporary one from soft steel to hold things in place, but can't use the gun until there's firing pin. If I get impatient I might file one myself from the base of a 11/64" drill bit.
j danielsson

Post by j danielsson »

You can use the same retainingpin, if it looks allright. You may need to stake the hole to keep it in place.
Put a ball from a bearing over the hole and give it a good whack.
Do not use softsteelpin. The gun will work fine, but it will bend and may be very difficult to get out when needed.
KH250

Post by KH250 »

If the MG2 uses the same system as the MG4 the pin will be staked on the top face of the slide and not on the bottom. The correct direction to remove the pin is down, and inserted from the bottom. My firing pin was removed multiple times and the pin did not take much force to remove or install and did not need to be re-staked.
j danielsson

Post by j danielsson »

I had an early example and l know there were many design changes later. I don't know if the bespoken pin was one of them, but it may be so. The mg4 is some years younger.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

If the MG2 uses the same system as the MG4 the pin will be staked on the top face of the slide and not on the bottom. The correct direction to remove the pin is down, and inserted from the bottom. My firing pin was removed multiple times and the pin did not take much force to remove or install and did not need to be re-staked.
Correct.
metman

Post by metman »

Still waiting to hear from MG (I need instructions on how to pay - is it paypal??!). Meanwhile, I cut an improvised firing pin from the end of an 11/64" drill bit. It seems to work fine.The f.p.retaining pin on my MG2 was staked at both ends, so it didn't seem to me to make any difference which direction I press it out. Anyway, that part is working (tested on a bunch of fired cases), although of course if I ever lay my hands on a genuine MG2 firing pin, I will install it and keep mine as a backup.
The disconnector pin is another thing, I've used a segment of steel rod to hold the parts together but it is not likely to stay together if the gun is fired. I am going to try a short 2mm bolt and nut with a smidgen of blue loctite.
jbshooter

Post by jbshooter »

I think its a ø2.5mm pin. A 2mm screw or bolt will give you problems. Why did you dismantle the disconnector anyway?
metman

Post by metman »

jbshooter wrote:I think its a ø2.5mm pin. A 2mm screw or bolt will give you problems. Why did you dismantle the disconnector anyway?
You're right it is 2.5mm, my fat fingers can't type.
I didn't deliberately remove the disconnector pin. It just fell out. A strange coincidence that this happened the same time that the firing pin also fell out.