Weight training ?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Evo678

Weight training ?

Post by Evo678 »

How much improvement do you get from weight training ? Does this help steady you're aim ? What are you're experiences ? What is the best way to include this in your practice sessions ?
Christopher Miceli

Re: Weight training ?

Post by Christopher Miceli »

the more fit you are the better you shoot.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

If you are doing weight training, you want to do lots of repetitions with light weights. You do not want to try to see how much weight you can lift/hold only a few times. That builds up the wrong kind of muscle tissue for shooting. Do a search on "fast twitch" & "slow twitch" muscles
Coolmeester

Post by Coolmeester »

Christopher Miceli wrote:the more fit you are the better you shoot.
No.
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

the more fit you are the better you shoot.
All other things being equal, yes.

As previously stated, light weight/ high rep training, BUT even more important is cardio-vascular training. Shooting is an "endurance" sport, so you need to be able to do many repetitions over long time frames.
10M_Stan

Post by 10M_Stan »

Here is a link to Bullseye (i.e. precision pistol, etc) NRA shooting sports information on strength and stamina:
http://www.bullseyepistol.com/stamina.htm

Having all the endurance and stamina of an Olympic gold medal marathon runner won't make you a good shooter. But a good shooter's scores can suffer if they don't have enough endurance and stamina. The exercises described in the encyclopedia link are for basic fitness. Personally, I think yoga or a similar exercise regiment would be sufficient with weight training as described in the link. There is no life penalty for being fit.
Elmas

Post by Elmas »

Coolmeester wrote:
No.
Certainly yes . A high level of fitness raises your mental alertness and increases your stamina .
Coolmeester

Post by Coolmeester »

Elmas wrote:
Coolmeester wrote:
No.
Certainly yes . A high level of fitness raises your mental alertness and increases your stamina .
I agree. The topic is about weight training. In my opinion it is much more important to do twice a week holding excercises and dry firing with both hands at home than being at the gym twice a week, for example. The pistol is a good weight. At the top level of our sport almost no one is muscular.

Jogging, cycling and other endurance sport training gives the shooter numerous benefits to sport shooting. For example lower heart rate, mental healthness and alertness, better stamina as you mentioned.
Center-fire pistol
Standard pistol
Rapid fire pistol
Free pistol
Air pistol
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

Core and lower body strength and muscle tone improve your stability. Upper body strength, muscle tone, and stamina make your hold smaller, allow you to hold smaller longer, and allow you to shoot faster. Stamina also is a benefit (weaker muscles tire more quickly).

As stated before, muscle tone rather than bulk is the goal. Remember this is a sport of fine motor control.

But don’t skip leg day, Bro.
batty

Post by batty »

NSCA recommendations for Resistance training for Pistol Shooters

http://bit.ly/bbspistol
thirdwheel

Post by thirdwheel »

About 18 months ago I decided to use the time I had on my hands as I had retired to improve my 10m pistol shooting so bought a few light weights and dry fired a 60 shot match twice a day, also read everything I could find on the matter and analysed everything and used my scatt to plot the progress once a week. My hold got better and I was happy it was going the right way, then it happened I hit that wall and stagnated. I've always been pleased with my cardio fitness and have always been active in water sports, sprint kayaking and then high level Dingy sailing and travelled widely racing it (International snipe), as a job as a design teacher I would never walk around my workshop during practical sessions but march swiftly to help my pupils, fitness was good so I thought. Then we took on a young dog an Akita and my scores slowly started to move on as my hold and technique seemed to improve all on it's own as if by magic. Add to that some really good advice from an internet contact (rifle coach) on getting my shots off earlier before my hold started to deteriorate and to set up my trigger properly on my K12 and the move forward has continued. Walking that dog twice a day for about 50 mins a time has done wonders for my pistol shooting, fitness matters, just take a walk and see if it helps.
Hubert

Post by Hubert »

batty wrote:NSCA recommendations for Resistance training for Pistol Shooters

http://bit.ly/bbspistol
Thanks for posting. Would you have an access to the article “Kinesiology Tape Application to Improve Pistol Shooting in Tactical Athletes” TSAC Report (Report 35)?
batty

Post by batty »

possibly, do you mean this ;)

https://www.rocktape.com/wp-content/upl ... es-p16.pdf

Just an FYI, you can't shoot ISSF Matches when taped up, its against the rules ;)
Elmas

Post by Elmas »

What value is ' athletic supremacy ' if the trigger control and sight alignment is below par ?

Yoga and Zen could be more useful than weight lifting and running on a treadmill for precision shooting .... Disciplines that teach a stillness of the mind and complete focus during the shot process .
JamesHH

Post by JamesHH »

Elmas wrote:What value is ' athletic supremacy ' if the trigger control and sight alignment is below par ?

Yoga and Zen could be more useful than weight lifting and running on a treadmill for precision shooting .... Disciplines that teach a stillness of the mind and complete focus during the shot process .
What use is perfect enlightenment if you can't lift the pistol and hold steady on target?

In shooting numerous aspects have to be optimised simultaneously, some counterintuitively.
wasatch

Post by wasatch »

JamesHH wrote:
Elmas wrote:What value is ' athletic supremacy ' if the trigger control and sight alignment is below par ?

What use is perfect enlightenment if you can't lift the pistol and hold steady on target?

In shooting numerous aspects have to be optimised simultaneously, some counterintuitively.
Yoga can be quite physically demanding and requires holding practiced, stressed positions similar to shooting, unlike dynamic sports.

Yoga would likely also work better than dynamic exercises to develop shooting specific proprioreceptive feedback & balance.

From what i've read, high level shooting is mostly mental after the basic physical requirements are met. So zen out baby! :-)
Elmas

Post by Elmas »

That's what makes it a challenge ! And an addictive one at that !

Elmas