My Steyr EVO arrived

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
cptbowen

My Steyr EVO arrived

Post by cptbowen »

Yesterday my EVO arrived due to quick shipment and excellent service by Scott P.

I haven't had a chance to do anything but put a few pellets though it in the back yard, hopefully some precision work will come this weekend.

I went with the black frame and blue tank and it's beautiful. But more importantly the fit and finish is perfect. I have owned an LP1 in the past and did not like the original grip and replaced it with the Rink grip, but with the new grip they have on this pistol I don't feel the need to change it.

The trigger is right on the money, once I got the trigger shoe placement set and did some dry firing the trigger settings seem right on.

I liked the fact that the balancing weights were included and didn't require an additional purchase.

Just as a reference point I have owned air pistols over the last 15 years by Anschutz, Steyr (LP1), FWB and Morini (162 EI). At this point when I look at all the components that make a great competitive pistol this one has to be the be best yet.
Mtl_Biker

Re: My Steyr EVO arrived

Post by Mtl_Biker »

cptbowen wrote:Yesterday my EVO arrived due to quick shipment and excellent service by Scott P.

I haven't had a chance to do anything but put a few pellets though it in the back yard, hopefully some precision work will come this weekend.

I went with the black frame and blue tank and it's beautiful. But more importantly the fit and finish is perfect. I have owned an LP1 in the past and did not like the original grip and replaced it with the Rink grip, but with the new grip they have on this pistol I don't feel the need to change it.

The trigger is right on the money, once I got the trigger shoe placement set and did some dry firing the trigger settings seem right on.

I liked the fact that the balancing weights were included and didn't require an additional purchase.

Just as a reference point I have owned air pistols over the last 15 years by Anschutz, Steyr (LP1), FWB and Morini (162 EI). At this point when I look at all the components that make a great competitive pistol this one has to be the be best yet.
Ooooh, I'm SO jealous!!! I've ordered an EVO 10 Compact for myself and it's been sitting for "further investigation" at the CBSA (Canada Border Services Agency) for TEN DAYS already. It seems that they (someone) is having fun playing with it (testing it for velocity to make sure it meets Canadian regulations for a NON-restricted firearm). My gun had been modified to meet Canadian regulations and a certificate supplied, but unfortunately my timing was bad. At the time my gun arrived at the border, that model was NOT yet listed in the FRT (Firearms Reference Table) used by the RCMP and government agencies so they did not know what to do with it or how to classify it. Hence the further inspection. It WAS finally added on the May 31st, but unfortunately my gun was already in the extra investigation process and has been caught up there. I have no idea when or even if, I'll ever see it. SIGH

Is yours the regular length barrel or compact? It'll be my first match pistol so I went with the compact.
AA S510 Xtra FAC Ultimate Sporter *CARBINE* .22
CZ200S "Green" .177
Feinwerkbau 800 Evolution Top
AA S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Weihrauch HW50S .22
ponpon7

Post by ponpon7 »

Mtl_Biker wrote:
cptbowen wrote: My gun had been modified to meet Canadian regulations and a certificate supplied,.
Hello Mtl_Biker, wondering to know the detail of Candian regulations ? Limited velocity...or ?

Thanks
SamEEE

Post by SamEEE »

Speed and/or energy restrictions it looks like. They are probably also confirming it is not a TEC-9.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-f ... ir-eng.htm
Image Image
Mtl_Biker

Post by Mtl_Biker »

ponpon7 wrote:
Mtl_Biker wrote:
cptbowen wrote: My gun had been modified to meet Canadian regulations and a certificate supplied,.
Hello Mtl_Biker, wondering to know the detail of Candian regulations ? Limited velocity...or ?

Thanks
The limit for air guns in general is that no PAL (Canadian license) is required as long as the gun shoots less than 500 fps AND 4.2 fpe. (Both those requirements must be met... meaning that you could have a gun shooting OVER 500 fps as long as it was not also over 4.2 fpe energy.) Over that and a PAL is required. But pistols are different. Under that limit and again no PAL is needed, but if over, a RESTRICTED PAL (RPAL) is needed and not only is that license much harder to get but there are other requirements that need to be met yearly, such as you MUST be a member of a shooting club and you must obtain permission to transport the pistol. And there's a bunch of other stuff which makes it a PITA. I don't have or even want to get an RPAL with all the associated hassles, so I wanted the make sure the pistol was de-tuned so that it meets our Canadian regulations for a NON-licensed airgun. (Even though I do have a PAL.)

The problem in my particular situation is that even though my EVO-10 was detuned to meet our regulations and a certificate supplied, when it arrived in Canada the gun was not yet listed in the Canadian FRT (Firearms Reference Table) that government agencies use to determine how a particular firearm is classified. So they sent the pistol for testing. And it's been there for two weeks now. The EVO-10 HAS SINCE been added to the FRT, but unfortunately my gun was already in the testing process and I have no idea when or even if it will be released to me. If only my timing had been 10 days later it's pretty certain that the gun would have arrived without delay. SIGH
CZ200S "Green" .177
AA S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Weihrauch HW50S .22
mhkhung

Post by mhkhung »

The problem is not so much about the PAL.. it's your authority-to-transport. ATT is between your home and the club (or another club to a match, etc) and you have to take the direct route (of course it's all subject to police or judge if you got stopped). And if you want to take it onto a plane you need to call/wait to get another ATT.

You also can't just leave the box in the car and take the box into your office or go to work or go shopping, etc.

- M
Mtl_Biker

Post by Mtl_Biker »

mhkhung wrote:The problem is not so much about the PAL.. it's your authority-to-transport. ATT is between your home and the club (or another club to a match, etc) and you have to take the direct route (of course it's all subject to police or judge if you got stopped). And if you want to take it onto a plane you need to call/wait to get another ATT.

You also can't just leave the box in the car and take the box into your office or go to work or go shopping, etc.

- M
Again reinforcing the fact that I do not want to have to get an RPAL or a pistol shooting over the Canadian limit for not needing a license.
CZ200S "Green" .177
AA S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Weihrauch HW50S .22
stephen_maly

Post by stephen_maly »

Well, just incase you ever decide to get into powder guns, it might be an idea to obtain your RPAL before you need it, rather than fret later on. I have mine, but if I go to the Nationals again (from the USA) I'll probably just take my IZH-46. I guess at least I'll have some choice in the matter.
X10

Post by X10 »

@cptbowen: How is it - your new EVO?