Question on sight riser blocks

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

trax

Question on sight riser blocks

Post by trax »

I have my front and rear 7020 series sights mounted directly on my Anschutz 1907 barrel. This feels fine in prone, but in offhand it's a different story. When I'm standing and holding the rifle in a comfortable and sustainable hold, I have to bend my neck uncomfortably to look through the sights, which makes everything really unpleasant. I feel like I'd benefit from having the sights raised vertically from the barrel. I haven't quite figured out what height would be ideal, but somewhere around 5-10mm would help a lot.

Which brings me to my next question--a sight height that might be great for standing might feel uncomfortable or unnatural for prone or kneeling. Is it common (or NRA / ISSF legal) to swap out riser blocks when changing between positions? Or do you have to basically find a height that's reasonable across all firing positions?
Tim S

Re: Question on sight riser blocks

Post by Tim S »

ISSF rules place no limit on the use of raiser blocks for 50m rifle. Judging by the 3-P finals it is very common (if not universal) for high level shooters to vary the height of the sightline between positions, especially bewteen prone and standing.
Center10

Post by Center10 »

You might want to try the new TEC-HRO "Rapid Sight Blocks" adjustable risers. Mckeena Shooting Sports, Creedmoor Sports have them for $200. Makes sight height adjustment easy between positions and you don't need another set of sights.

Bob Yakushi
Chris B

Post by Chris B »

When you are shooting prone your body is inclined forward so your eyeline is quite close to your shoulder level and your cheek piece is probably approximately on the same level as the barrel (I know mine is as I'm always catching the bolt on the cheek piece as I take it out at the end of a shoot!)

When you are shooting standing your body is vertical and your eyeline with your head upright - as it should be - is well above your shoulder so it makes sense to use as many raising blocks as necessary in addition to dropping the butt plate considerably.

Looking at photos of air rifle competitors at major competitions the cheek piece is usually well above the level of the barrel (20mm+) and the sights are further raised 30mm or more by multiple blocks or by, as Bob suggested, adjustable blocks. This gives you a much more comfortable, upright, position. I have seen a recent photo of one person using what appears to be a stack of four 8 or 10mm blocks.

In addition, of course, you'll also have to add a handful of clicks elevation to correct the sights.
Piefou

Post by Piefou »

It's totally allowed to swap risers between positions.

I personally shoot prone and kneeling without risers, then put full-height Centra "block" for standing.
Be careful with very high risers, it tends to increase the consequences of canting errors.
FWB P700 Alu & JSB S100 pellets // Annie 1913 Precise & Eley Sport bullets
Abi

Post by Abi »

I shoot prone with one set of 8mm Anschutz risers, but both kneeling and standing with a second set of 8mm risers. It was an easier change when course of fire was P/S/K but doesn't take long during a match to change out.