Are there different models of the Standard Steyr LP10?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
DFWdude

Are there different models of the Standard Steyr LP10?

Post by DFWdude »

LP10 has been around for a while. I'm not asking about standard vs short, electronic vs mechanical. Is there an LP10A, or B, or C, etc. and if so in what years did each hit the market?

Mine is a 2012 LP10(?), with the improved bolt roller, but older compensator.
deadeyedick

Re: Are there different models of the Standard Steyr LP10?

Post by deadeyedick »

Wait just a few more days for the answer.
DFWdude

Post by DFWdude »

deadeyedick wrote:Wait just a few more days for the answer.
I don't care about the new Steyr pistol. That is not the topic.

I would like to know if there are model differentiators, or sub-types, within the long history of the LP10 line.
rmca

Post by rmca »

DFWdude wrote:
deadeyedick wrote:Wait just a few more days for the answer.

I would like to know if there are model differentiators, or sub-types, within the long history of the LP10 line.
The early ones were CO2, then compressed air.
The first compressed air said "Steyr Air" on the regulator, then it disappeared.
The early compressed air pistols had a cylinder without a manometer.

One other modification Steyr introduced was the ball bearing trigger pivot around the 2008? Not sure about the date...

The older ones said "steyr-mannlicher" now they say Steyr Sport.

Without the trigger ball bearing and the move from CO2 to CA, it's the same gun...
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

it's the same gun...
DFWdude....how simple is this...and the reference to the new gun is for the purpose of pointing out that this update will be the most identifiable change in the LP10.

dude, you have impeccable manners.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

I know they were first introduced back in 2000. The current LP10 is Gen3, and the new version that will be coming out soon will be Gen4.
Silvershooter

Post by Silvershooter »

Mine is a 2012 LP10(?), with the improved bolt roller, but older compensator.
The LP10E has the 8 port compensator fitted as standard, (not on the mechanical trigger version).
DFWdude

Post by DFWdude »

kevinweiho wrote:I know they were first introduced back in 2000. The current LP10 is Gen3, and the new version that will be coming out soon will be Gen4.
So the correct terminology is Gen 1-3? And I take it my 2012 is an LP10 Gen 3. That is what I was looking for. Thanks.

And if the "new" pistol retains the LP10 model name, then it will be Gen 4.... Hmmmmmmm...

If the new Steyr is a radically new pistol, the 30-year Product Manager in me would name it LP11, LP12, LP15, or LP20, etc. If just a simple evolution of the LP10, than Gen 4 would be appropriate. But not any reason -- in name alone -- to prompt everyone to put their LP10s on the used market to buy just a new twist on the existing design.

It will be interesting to watch what happens next.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

So the correct terminology is Gen 1-3? And I take it my 2012 is an LP10 Gen 3. That is what I was looking for. Thanks.
It may be convenient for individuals to refer to the evolution of the LP10 as gen 1,2,3 and so on, however I am unaware that Steyr have ever officially adopted this as their way of distinguishing changes to the LP10. Improvements and modifications just seemed to be introduced into production.

The Steyr LP10 has been evolving since the LP1 and I have been informed that the name of the latest version will reflect this philosophy. Their history has been one of evolution rather than revolution.

Over the years I have owned three Steyr LP10's and an LP1, and I have never seen any reference by Steyr to gen 1, 2 or 3. or even ABC.

If anyone can find official references by Steyr please share it with all of us, however apart from being a convenient way for consumers to distinguish changes that Steyr have made over the years my understanding has always been that there has never been stand alone versions as was originally asked, simply an LP10 that slowly evolved into what it is today.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

deadeyedick wrote:
It may be convenient for individuals to refer to the evolution of the LP10 as gen 1,2,3 and so on, however I am unaware that Steyr have ever officially adopted this as their way of distinguishing changes to the LP10. Improvements and modifications just seemed to be introduced into production.

The Steyr LP10 has been evolving since the LP1 and I have been informed that the name of the latest version will reflect this philosophy. Their history has been one of evolution rather than revolution.

Over the years I have owned three Steyr LP10's and an LP1, and I have never seen any reference by Steyr to gen 1, 2 or 3. or even ABC.

If anyone can find official references by Steyr please share it with all of us, however apart from being a convenient way for consumers to distinguish changes that Steyr have made over the years my understanding has always been that there has never been stand alone versions as was originally asked, simply an LP10 that slowly evolved into what it is today.
I have took the terminology from firearms, especially from the evolution of Glock pistols. I also took into account, air cylinders that have been upgraded as well.
From no manometer, to a small protrusion, to the current cylinder with manometer.

Gen 1: Has a compensated barrel and plunger to load pellet.
Gen 2: Has ported barrel, direct pellet to barrel loading, new dry fire mechanism and bolt stabilizer to eliminate recoil.
Gen 3: Has new ball bearing trigger.
Gen 4: We’ll have to wait to see what upgrade(s) will be made.

In my opinion, (if anyone disagrees and wants to chime in, feel free to do so) that is the way I see the Gen1-Gen3.
Attachments
Steyr Gen1.jpg
Steyr Gen1.jpg (34.28 KiB) Viewed 4354 times
Steyr Gen2.jpg
Steyr Gen2.jpg (30.42 KiB) Viewed 4354 times
Steyr Gen3.jpg
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

I have took the terminology from firearms, especially from the evolution of Glock pistols. I also took into account, air cylinders that have been upgraded as well.
From no manometer, to a small protrusion, to the current cylinder with manometer.

Gen 1: Has a compensated barrel and plunger to load pellet.
Gen 2: Has ported barrel, direct pellet to barrel loading, new dry fire mechanism and bolt stabilizer to eliminate recoil.
Gen 3: Has new ball bearing trigger.
Gen 4: We’ll have to wait to see what upgrade(s) will be made.
And many others may think that there have been generational change as well Kevin, however I have not been able to find anything to prove that Steyr agree.

The reality is that the changes you have listed are simply evolutionary design improvements implemented through the passage of time with no indication from Steyr that a new generation was born.
Mercede Benz for a long time had ran an intensive car testing programme, punishing their vehicles until a part failed. That part was then re engineered and put straight into the production line.

Steyr appear to have a similar approach, and the reality is that owners of LP10's simply own an LP10. It is up to anyone considering buying a used version to determine what level of dvelopment that pistol has.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

deadeyedick wrote:
The reality is that the changes you have listed are simply evolutionary design improvements implemented through the passage of time with no indication from Steyr that a new generation was born. The reality is that owners of LP10's simply own an LP10. It is up to anyone considering buying a used version to determine what level of dvelopment that pistol has.
In the firearms industry, evolutionary improvements that are implemented is considered (like the Glock pistol evolution) a new generation. It would be a lot easier just to mention what Gen it is, then the buyer will immediately know what he’s getting and be able to make a decision to see if he wants all the bells and whistles.
argus

Post by argus »

Evo10 and Evo10E
DFWdude

Post by DFWdude »

DFWdude wrote:If the new Steyr is a radically new pistol, the 30-year Product Manager in me would name it LP11, LP12, LP15, or LP20, etc. If just a simple evolution of the LP10, than Gen 4 would be appropriate.
Ah, New pistol, completely New name. That's good (IMO). Reassuring to see the Styer Product developers and I subscribe to the same tried and true marketing philosophies.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Ah, New pistol, completely New name. That's good (IMO). Reassuring to see the Styer Product developers and I subscribe to the same tried and true marketing philosophies.
Huh ? Try saying this one word slowly......e v o l u t I o n.....updates randomly introduced into the production line without reference to dates or serial numbers.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

D.E.D., this video sums it all up...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z41u7KQsGo4
Lenny

Post by Lenny »

Will they still be making LP10's or are these discontinued?
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Will they still be making LP10's or are these discontinued?
Production of the LP10 has finished.
Lenny

Post by Lenny »

deadeyedick wrote:
Production of the LP10 has finished.
Thanks. I am thinking of buying my first PCP next fall. Lots of choices.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Does this mean that the LP10 (and those who drank the KoolAde) are hopelessly outmoded?