Printable Targets?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

CrossFaced

Printable Targets?

Post by CrossFaced »

Hi..total been here. I did my best to search for Small Bore targets but I really don't know precisely what I'm looking for so my search came up with way too many hits to be helpful.

Please keep in mind I'm new at this.

I believe from what I have read, for competition there is a standard Small Bore Rifle Target. It's a small target with 10 rings.

Is this correct? And can I print them off the internet?

Thanks for your patience.
Tim S

Re: Printable Targets?

Post by Tim S »

In theory, yes you can print targets, although you may struggle to find the correct version as copyright may apply.

In practise, printing may not work particularly well. Commercially produced targets are printed on very thick paper, in which bullets leave a neat hole (some brands create a neater hole than others). Normal printer paper is too thin, and bullets will tear a ragged hole, which makes it difficult to score the target. Printer paper is also rather shiny, which wont help your aim; commercially made targets are matt finish and less reflective.

Depending on where you are, and what matches you want to shoot, you may find there are several different targets. Here in the UK, our governing body the National Smallbore Rifle association produces targets for 15 yards, 20, yards, 25, yards, 50 yards, 50m, and 100 yards; all are different sizes, but scaled up/down from the International/Olympic 50m target. In the US, the US-NRA produce their own series of targets which are different in size (the actual target and the scoring rings) to British and International.
CrossFaced

Post by CrossFaced »

Great info ....Thanks Tim!
BigAl

Post by BigAl »

As Tim said about printing your own targets, not only is most printer paper shinier/more reflective than normal target paper it also contains Optical Brightening Agents. OBA's absorb the UV part of the spectrum, and then fluoresce emitting light in the blue part of the spectrum. This tends to make them look even whiter. Having your target actually be a source of light is not a good thing. Many people try to get around the paper thickness/tearing issue by using a thicker matt photo paper to print the targets on. Unfortunately photo papers usually have the very highest amounts of OBA's.

Alan
CrossFaced

Post by CrossFaced »

BigAl wrote:As Tim said about printing your own targets, not only is most printer paper shinier/more reflective than normal target paper it also contains Optical Brightening Agents. OBA's absorb the UV part of the spectrum, and then fluoresce emitting light in the blue part of the spectrum. This tends to make them look even whiter. Having your target actually be a source of light is not a good thing. Many people try to get around the paper thickness/tearing issue by using a thicker matt photo paper to print the targets on. Unfortunately photo papers usually have the very highest amounts of OBA's.

Alan
Wow that's interesting. Thanks!
abinok

Post by abinok »

Neenah Exact Vellum Bristol cuts the cleanest of any printer compatible paper I've used. 67lb and 100lb feed fine. I think "ivory" is closest to "target" tan, but use your own judgment.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Try American Target Co., Denver, CO.

I wouldn't buy their air pistol targets, though.
J R

Post by J R »

I believe one of the issues is length of the paper fibers. Paper with longer fibers tear more easily, such as normal copy papers. Also thickness matter, as mentioned.

I have been very happy with targets manufactured by kruger. If motivation of printing targets is price, then it might not be that much more expensive to just buy them, especially considering quality.

US: http://www.kruger-us-targets.com
EU: http://targets.krueger-shops.eu

50 meter rifle target should be this: http://www.kruger-us-targets.com/index. ... 025-n.html
CrossFaced

Post by CrossFaced »

Thanks again all!
Thauglor

Post by Thauglor »

I think you will find it cheaper to buy printed targets than printing your own. I buy mine from American target company cuz their shipping is about $10 to my house, and even with shipping it is cheaper than the cost to print at my work (a multi national Forbes 200 listed company), let alone my house eprinter.