Question for LP10 owners

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
solarvision

Question for LP10 owners

Post by solarvision »

I purchased a lightly use LP10 a couple of months ago and have enjoyed shooting and getting to know the pistol.

My question concerns recoil: the barrel jumps very slightly when fired - is this normal? It seems in my research prior to purchase, the conventional wisdom was that the gun stays rock steady when the shot breaks.

Not knowing what is normal, I wonder if the stabilizer needs adjusting. Any help greatly appreciated!
j-team

Re: Question for LP10 owners

Post by j-team »

It's hard to know what you call "jumps very slightly".

Have you fired other brand top end air pistols so you have something to compare it to? Or even compare it to another LP10.

No air pistol is completely motionless on firing, it's just that some brands have less movement than others.
argus

Post by argus »

Checking the function of the stabilizer is very simple, adjusting it is also fairly simple with the need for only basic tools. All is described in the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEe2LS9lll0

I purchased a used LP10E and found the stabilizer was barely moving. In my case it did not need adjustment, only cleaning because the previous owner had used some sort of heavy lubrication that had become sticky preventing free movement.

Also the trick to removing and installing the stabilizer without losing the 3 small springs retained by the plastic split ring is to slip the o-ring from the base of the filling adaptor over the plastic ring as you withdraw the stabilizer assembly, this also makes putting the stabilizer back in the pistol much easier.

Finally I would say that even with the stabilizer adjusted correctly if you do not execute the shot correctly you will still see some flip, when you execute correctly there is very little flip.
Last edited by argus on Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
solarvision

Post by solarvision »

Thanks j-team and argus

Yeah, "jumps very slightly" is pretty vague, but I'm not sure how else to express it. Wish I could compare it to other pistols, but serious air pistol shooters are few and far between in my neck of the woods (SW Colorado).

I'm guessing that what I experience is normal. It's just that I have a memory of coming across some past forum post that described pistols like the LP10 as being "dead" in the hand - i.e. no recoil whatsoever (my take). And if that were accurate, then I might be better able to assess what I believe to be an issue I'm having with consistent trigger squeeze: when I dry fire against a white wall, I can get the trigger to break without disturbing the sights; but when I start shooting pellets, sometimes the front sight stays steady, sometimes it moves to the left, sometimes to the right, etc.

And yes, I did see the youtube video on checking/adjusting the stabilizer. Not having any gunsmithing experience, I got spooked with the mention of flying springs.

I have worked a lot on shooting technique, from stance to follow through, concentrating on consistency. Sometimes I get it right, sometimes I don't. Either way, I always experience slight barrel flip.

Oh well, perfect practice makes perfect. Right?
argus

Post by argus »

You don't even need to remove the grip to see if the stabilizer is adjusted correctly if you want to put your mind at ease.
Using a flash light there is enough of a gap between the grip and frame to see how far the stabilizer moves back when you release the catch lever.
Chances are that providing the previous owner didn't fiddle with it, it will be fine.
If it does need adjusting you can take it to a gunsmith but providing you have some basic skills it is a very easy DIY job.
solarvision

Post by solarvision »

Thanks! That's great - will do. This is probably a dumb question, but do I carry out the check as you described with a charged air cylinder attached to the pistol?
rmca

Post by rmca »

No need to attach the cylinder.

Just do as the movie instructs and press the small black lever on top of the bolt.

Cock the gun and then use something plastic and press on the lever. The front part of it, close to the barrel.

You should feel when it releases the compensator, and then check it´s final position.

If you remove the grip you will see it more clearly.

Hope this helps
solarvision

Post by solarvision »

Thanks - it does!
argus

Post by argus »

So as it is with 99% of issues it comes down to the problem being caused by the nut that holds the grip.
I've had that issue many a time.
renzo

Post by renzo »

argus wrote:So as it is with 99% of issues it comes down to the problem being caused by the nut that holds the grip.
I've had that issue many a time.
English not being my mother language, I'm being forced to ask: Are tou referring to the inside threaded nut that keeps the grip attached to the gun (which would be the cause of the OP's troubles) or to the insane nut that holds the grip (and the pistol) from hitting the ground, which the would turn to be MY trouble............................................
argus

Post by argus »

I'm sorry to say it is the second one, and as I said, I suffer the same problem all too frequently.
renzo

Post by renzo »

Ahhhhhh................

As a computer wiz I know usually tells me when I complain about PC issues: "Your trouble is in the interface between the seat and the keyboard"

Nice chap, isn't he?
solarvision

Post by solarvision »

I plead guilty to being the nut holding the grip!

Just to bring closure to this thread, I checked the stabilizer movement per the instructions from rmca and argus. It is functioning perfectly.

It's interesting - as I try to keep focus on the front sight when the shot breaks - sometimes it stays relatively stable (with slight muzzle flip), but other times recoil moves the sight slightly left or right, or sometimes up. So I'm guessing the reason for this could be: (1) direction in arc of movement at the break; (2) slight inconsistencies in grip pressure that I am not aware of; (3) trigger squeeze not always smooth, or (4) all of the above. I'll bet it's these variations that are kicking shots out of the 9-10 rings.

Any suggestions or opinions from you experienced shooters?
cloudswimmer

Post by cloudswimmer »

Well I had the regular LP10 for a while and there was definitely a tiny bit of muzzle flip, but being primarily a large bore handgun hunter, with the LP10 the small amount of muzzle flip was moot point :)

Chris
rmca

Post by rmca »

solarvision wrote:(2) slight inconsistencies in grip pressure that I am not aware of;
(3) trigger squeeze not always smooth
It's hard to judge without actually seeing you shoot, but my money is on one or both of the reasons above.
Grip pressure is probably the main reason, followed closely by the trigger squeeze.

Try to dry fire at a blank wall, increasing your grip pressure, until you can replicate the jump.
If dry fire doesn´t do it, try with live fire (with a proper backstop, obviously!), increase your pressure until it flips.

Do the same for the trigger squeeze, until it flips.

Once you find out what causes that flip, try to recognise it before the shot breaks, and your problem is gone! (I know it sounds simple, but it's hard to do :)

Hope this helps
Rover

Post by Rover »

I'm certain RMCA nailed it. Start snooping your technique.
solarvision

Post by solarvision »

Thanks guys. No doubt my technique could use some snooping.

So today I focused on grip pressures. I realized that I had increased the pressure exerted to the side of the grip by my thumb as well as the three fingers below the trigger, thinking that was giving me a "steadier" hold. So I went back to just lightly resting my thumb and exerting finger pressure only front to rear. Instant improvement!

I still struggle with focusing on the front sight and follow through. When I first started shooting in September with a Daisy 747, I bought some of those reactive targets that give you a blob of color with each hit. Big mistake. Huge. I still fight the tendency to focus on the target during follow through.

I guess if pistol accuracy came easy, it wouldn't be such fun.
Rover

Post by Rover »

It's not fun. It drives me nuckin' futs!!!