Which beginner pistol to practice with?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
zanemoseley

Which beginner pistol to practice with?

Post by zanemoseley »

I've been getting into bullseye shooting this year some. So far I have a Les Baer Concept III .45 and just bought a 1972 S&W 41 in great shape yesterday. I get out to shoot at the range on Saturdays but have a full basement to practice in, I could easily get a 10m setup.

I thought about picking up an IZH 46M this Fall so I can do some serious practice next Winter but I'm tempted to get an inexpensive one now that would let me practice a bit and see if I'll actually use it. After shelling out $925 for my S&W 41 the bank account needs some time to cool off as well.

Is there anything in the sub $100 range that is worth having? I don't want one with a total junk trigger but I realize a $100 pistol isn't going to have as good of a trigger as my 2 pistols. I've been looking at the Beeman P17 and Crosman 2240. I'm not opposed to CO2 as they're only $.50 each. The P17 looks like a bear to cock too.
ricardopresto

Re: Which beginner pistol to practice with?

Post by ricardopresto »

I can recommend the Gamo Compact, although I'm not sure how much it retails for in the US. The trigger's not great, but the grip and sights are excellent. I started with a P17 and I wouldn't recommend it at all. Lousy grip, sights and trigger. Good luck.
spektr

Post by spektr »

I have shot a Colt 45 pellet pistol from Pyramid Air. Its really handy
to practice your hardball gun on the cheap. It felt pretty good .
zanemoseley

Post by zanemoseley »

spektr wrote:I have shot a Colt 45 pellet pistol from Pyramid Air. Its really handy
to practice your hardball gun on the cheap. It felt pretty good .
Which model do you have?
Rover

Post by Rover »

No, there's nothing in the $100 range worth buying.

You could save your pennies and buy a used AP in the $500 range, but you could get a FAS 6004 for $388 that would be suitable for your purpose.

You may consider the new NRA program that allows you to shoot a 2700 in .22 only. You sure as hell won't make any progress starting with a .45 (not to mention cost).

You might want to sell the .45 and buy .22 ammo and a match grade air pistol.

Just sayin'.
zanemoseley

Post by zanemoseley »

Rover wrote:No, there's nothing in the $100 range worth buying.

You could save your pennies and buy a used AP in the $500 range, but you could get a FAS 6004 for $388 that would be suitable for your purpose.

You may consider the new NRA program that allows you to shoot a 2700 in .22 only. You sure as hell won't make any progress starting with a .45 (not to mention cost).

You might want to sell the .45 and buy .22 ammo and a match grade air pistol.

Just sayin'.
I've already got both the .22 and .45. I cast my own 200 grain SWC bullets and reload them, total cost is only $.07 each counting the lead cost, cheaper than most decent .22 ammo.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Excellent. Can you shoot it accurately?
shaky hands

Post by shaky hands »

Rover wrote:Excellent. Can you shoot it accurately?
You must be kidding, right? A .45 is easier to hit the 10-ring with, it makes a much bigger hole.
desben

Post by desben »

Have a look at the Daisy 717 or 747.
spektr

Post by spektr »

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Colt_1911 ... et_gun/136

Also, the guy who suggested a Daisy 717 or 747 has a good idea. I shot my 777 for years and years before buying an FWB P44
Rover

Post by Rover »

Shaky Hands, I bow to your superior wisdom.

He might wish to post his question in the Bullseye forum, since this is concerned with Olympic style shooting.
Andre

Post by Andre »

Want to shoot basement bullseye? Look at the Beeman P17. Never owned one, but I've heard some really great things about it. Granted it has bad fiber optic sights, but it gets you shooting at home.

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Beeman_P17/614
zanemoseley

Post by zanemoseley »

I like the looks of the daisy 717. I'm left handed and see where they sell lh grips. How awkward is it going to be pumping it left handed without having to fumble around with it between each shot.

Also I posted this in the Olympic forum since I figured you guys would be more familiar than the dedicated bullseye guys.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

zanemoseley wrote:The P17 looks like a bear to cock too.
All over the top charging SSP pistols are hard to cock IF you do not apply the proper technique.

The trick in easily charging the pistol is:

1.) Hold the pistol with the muzzle pointing downwards.
2.) Completely open the charging lever.
3.) Load a pellet.
4.) Then close (compress) the pistol with an inward motion using both arms with the muzzle facing downwards.

This method will cut the loading pressure in half.
bullseyeman

Post by bullseyeman »

Go with the daisy 717- has an adjustable trigger and costs around 150. The 747 cost more and has the walther barrel, but so far the 717 has been plenty accurate
Rover

Post by Rover »

A guy at my club was getting skunked with his 717. He bought a used CO2 Steyr LP1 and now he's making us look bad.

But, you can buy a brand new 747 for $200. I can't imagine trying to operate one left-handed. For more money, you can get an ambidextrous FAS 6004. Do a search for info.
zanemoseley

Post by zanemoseley »

If cocking the Daisy 717/747 couldn't you just hold it with your left hand and kinda lay the gun against your chest then use your right hand to cock it?
Linecutter

Post by Linecutter »

ricardopresto wrote:I can recommend the Gamo Compact, although I'm not sure how much it retails for in the US. The trigger's not great, but the grip and sights are excellent. I started with a P17 and I wouldn't recommend it at all. Lousy grip, sights and trigger. Good luck.
If you're going to get one then invest the time in taking it apart & polishing up the sears. They are made from severe sheets of stamped metal & are... rough! With thinking about altering the trigger spring/tension too. After that you can get some acceptable scores for the money (520ish IIRC, before I moved on to an LP10)
zanemoseley

Post by zanemoseley »

I've been looking up info on the FAS 6004 air pistol as recommended, it looks to be a very nice pistol. Is it worth twice the price of the 747? It is definitely a more refined looking gun. Someone on youtube said it was steel construction, is that true? I'd rather have a blued steel gun instead of anodized aluminum as I think it would hold up better. Is airguns of Arizona pretty much the only place to get the FAS guns?
Rover

Post by Rover »