Palm Shelf Legality

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Andre

Palm Shelf Legality

Post by Andre »

(Continuation from another thread, as to not ruin OP's post)
David Levene wrote:
I thought that's what I was going to see.

That is not legal because, from the bottom of the recess, it rises up towards the outside of the hand.

To make it legal you would need to remove wood from the area between the edge of the shelf and the bottom of the recess, at least parallel with the top of the shelf or sloping downwards.

It would probably be easier to just remove the whole back corner down to the level of the bottom of the recess.
Although not in that picture the divot is not even seeable from the outside; less than 1/32" deep. Pic on it's way.
Last edited by Andre on Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andre

Re: Palm Shelf Legality

Post by Andre »

It looks like it touches my wrist, it does not and it's the same dimension as the original. Just my hand in an odd position for the picture.

http://s1379.photobucket.com/user/andre ... d.jpg.html
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Andre wrote: Although not in that picture the divot is not even seeable from the outside; less than 1/32" deep.
At what depth would you consider that it becomes non-allowable?

1/16"? 1/8"? 1/4"? 1/2"? etc

The answer is that anything over 0" is not allowed.

You could, of course, be lucky and find an EC officer who doesn't understand, or want to apply the rule "Any upward curvature of the heel and/or thumb rest and/or a downward curvature of the side opposite the thumb is prohibited" (I have put the important bit in bold)
Andre

Post by Andre »

David Levene wrote:
Andre wrote: Although not in that picture the divot is not even seeable from the outside; less than 1/32" deep.

You could, of course, be lucky and find an EC officer who doesn't understand, or want to apply the rule "Any upward curvature of the heel and/or thumb rest and/or a downward curvature of the side opposite the thumb is prohibited" (I have put the important bit in bold)
Bondo it is then, thank you for pointing that out. I'm gonna have to go read the rules again and see if a little padding there is okay. I can't shoot for more than 20 shots before it starts to get distracting.
David M

Post by David M »

Andre wrote:
David Levene wrote:

Bondo it is then, thank you for pointing that out. I'm gonna have to go read the rules again and see if a little padding there is okay. I can't shoot for more than 20 shots before it starts to get distracting.

At a World cup in Zargreb some time ago the gun check was using set squares to check
palm shelves.
A lot of legal pistols with flat palm shelves where rejected because the older grips as you
tightened the palm shelf screws they flexed slightly upwards.
A lot of grips were badly modified at that meet to pass a very anal gun check.
The simple fix for my grip was to put a thin strip of cut airpistol target between
the grip and palm shelf , above the screws to angle it down when tightened.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

David M wrote:At a World cup in Zargreb some time ago the gun check was using set squares to check palm shelves.
A lot of legal pistols with flat palm shelves where rejected because the older grips as you tightened the palm shelf screws they flexed slightly upwards.
A lot of grips were badly modified at that meet to pass a very anal gun check.
The simple fix for my grip was to put a thin strip of cut airpistol target between the grip and palm shelf , above the screws to angle it down when tightened.
The MIT collegiate team shoots Benelli MP90/95's, and the factory Nill Griffe grips will produce a significant upward angle if the palm shelf is tightened near the upper end of its height range. The top of the inside of the shelf can extend well into the region where the main grip is relieved, and in extreme cases, overtightening the screw will crack the palm shelf and make matters even worse.

We now have a 3D printer file that we can use to make replacement shelves, and we can adjust the thickness above the screw hole so the shelf is well supported around the screw.

One of the mechanical engineering students is now working on designing 3D printed grips for our Pardini PGP-75 free pistols. We have a couple women shooting free pistol, and need smaller grips than "small".
tinky

Post by tinky »

At what point does a hand become a wrist?Anyone have a diagram showing a palms up hand and wrist indicating this point?Are we dealing with a wrist bone?Every FWB,Walther or Pardini that I have seen hits my lower hand at close to the same spot.I wrap moles skin around the shelf.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

How's this?
Attachments
wrist.jpg
wrist.jpg (13.19 KiB) Viewed 2413 times
tinky

Post by tinky »

Spencer....Thanks,that's exactly what I wanted.It appears that my hand is marked (from the FWB's)slightly away from the wrist.About 1/4 inch from the wrist arrow.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

My wrist has a line/crease neatly marking the wrist/hand joint. There are two lines, but the most distinct is just in back of the round meaty bump at the lower base of the hand. If I drop my hand slightly, you can feel a notch form between the bones in the hand and the wrist bones, right at the lower end of that line:

I don't know if this is a design feature (Mom & Dad's combined efforts), a manufacturing artifact (Mom's department), or the result of normal wear or maintenance issues (my lookout). YWMV (your wrist may vary...)
tinky

Post by tinky »

That's a great picture.My hand has a callous that starts at the point that the (yours and mine)first line of the double lines appear.The callous doesn't breach the area between the two lines.I appreciate all the advice from you guys but don't get me wrong ,at 75 ,I won't be in any serious shooting events.More curious about why the great air gun makers and grip makers would manufacture or use grips that were a no no.Really, l enjoy the pistol shooting games and have shot bullseye since the early 1960's and have been really getting into air pistols.I never have been able to take pictures of my hand(to show the callous)onto this site.Figured out how to phone pictures but not transmit them thru the computer. Thanks again.