Comments wanted for AP20 PRO versus LP400

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Curlyjim

Comments wanted for AP20 PRO versus LP400

Post by Curlyjim »

Hello everybody. I've been reading this forum for a while now, but just joined and this is my first post. I've been shooting 10m AP informally for a few years with an IZH 46M. There aren't many AP shooters around where I live (SW Utah), so there have been only a few local matches. I had a shop built on my house last spring, so I now have an indoor place to practice year round. Anyway, I'm looking to upgrade to a better pistol and would like to solicit comments in that regard.

The IZH is the only AP I've shot so I have no first hand knowledge of high end match pistols. I don't know anyone who has one either. For that reason, I'm not considering buying a used pistol. I think the high end pistols are beautiful machines, but my shooting future is most likely going to be mostly personal satisfaction and some local club matches. I don't think I can justify $1700 or more for my caliber of shooting. I already have a Hill pump, so I'm not particularly interested in a CO2 gun.

I found some information (some on this forum) on the Haemmerli AP20 and then the AP20 PRO. Grip adjustability and fit, and good balance are two of my main concerns and the PRO seems like it might be just about right for me because it has the 3D adjustable grip and the longer air cylinder with gauge. I've also flirted with the idea of getting a Walther LP400, but they cost 50% more than an AP20 PRO.

I've noticed that the AP20 PRO has gotten virtually no discussion on this forum and the AP20 only a little. It seems like these should fill a certain niche in 10m AP pretty well, but apparently not. Any comments on that?

So, a question for those of you who have experience with an AP20/AP20 PRO as well as some of the pistols comparable to the LP400.

What would I be missing with an AP20 PRO versus an LP400?

The sights, grip adjustability, and balance seem to be about the same. The build quality seems very good. I wouldn't expect quite the same accuracy from the AP20, but the numbers I've seen posted are pretty good. I also wouldn't expect the AP20 trigger to be as good as the LP400, but people seem to report it as very good also. I know the AP20 doesn't have any recoil suppression, but that doesn't seem a big deal to me.

I look forward to your comments.

Regards,
Curlyjim
pgmlml

Re: Comments wanted for AP20 PRO versus LP400

Post by pgmlml »

I tried and AP20 and I hated it!
It has muzzle flip like I've never seen on a Air PIstol!
Recently I bought got the LP400, still adapting to it, but its a great shooter!!!
Curlyjim

Post by Curlyjim »

pgmlml thanks for the info. I don't know if you shot one with a slimline cylinder oriented forward or the standard cylinder oriented downwards, but I suspect the latter would have a lot more muzzle flip.

I did discover that the AP20 requires the cocking lever to be almost vertical for dryfire. That seems pretty awkward and distracting to me and I think it's probably a deal breaker.

Regards
Curlyjim
pgmlml

Post by pgmlml »

It was a standard cylinder, in the horizontal position!

This kind of weapons are never a good investment, because in a near future if you want to sell it, nobody wants one and the value goes down...

;)