Bipod in prone

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

MatS

Bipod in prone

Post by MatS »

Hello,
I'm looking to make me a bipod for my smallbore rifle, but I'm interested if there are any regulations to bipods in prone and kneeling position. In the world cup videos provided by the ISSF I saw most shooters that use a bipod have them clapped up or taken down while in shooting position.
Is the bipod prohibited to be clapped down while shooting or they just need to comply to the 90mm below barrel centerline weight restriction?
(Asking because Anschütz described their bipods with no need to detach them while shooting and I wonder why should I do this in the first place? )
To clarify my question: Do the legs of the bipod have to be in a horizontal position while shooting, even if they don't exceed the 90/700mm rule?
jcs

Re: Bipod in prone

Post by jcs »

The bipod in question is not intended as a shooting support at all. It is intended to hold the rifle vertical on the ground for convenience while not slung up to it. They don't have to be rotated up. The Anschutz and Champions bipods don't rotate at all.
justadude

Post by justadude »

You pretty much have it: Rule 7.4.5, weights on foreend cannot extend more than 90mm below barrel centerline, we could have a discussion the way the rule is written about how far horizontally a weight can extend but by one reading, no further than the maximum described by the cheek piece.

90mm is only about 3.5 inches so that does not give you very much bipod to stand your rifle on.

We have been taking the bipod off in Air Rifle, pretty much forever, this rule is only about 2 years old, bottom line, we get to do it with 50m now too.

'Dude
justadude

Post by justadude »

@jcs
The issue is not support, that the rifle cannot be connected to the ground is more or less a given.

For folks with the older, not foldable bipods the judges make sure we take them off before we get too comfortable in position. While they do not weigh much they are still considered a weight.

'Dude
jcs

Post by jcs »

Ah, I see. I don't shoot ISSF, just NRA.