Length of sight radius on short airguns

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Tyka

Length of sight radius on short airguns

Post by Tyka »

I am looking for a new air pistol and decided to get a short one but I am slightly concerned about the sight lengths on the shorter ones.
My top two candidates are Morini 162M Short and Steyer LP10 Compact, the Steyer has a maximum sight length of only 315 mm while the Morini (if I understood this correct) can go as far as 350 mm. My question is, how much does the lack of sight length matter?

Some may find this a silly question, but I want to take every little detail in consideration as these are both rather expensive guns and I plan to use the one I get for a very long time (and hopefully one day compete with it where .1 counts). :)
rmca

Re: Length of sight radius on short airguns

Post by rmca »

Tyka wrote:(and hopefully one day compete with it where .1 counts)
If that is really on your mind you have two choices:

1- Buy the short version and as you improve buy the "full size" one.
2- Buy the full size one in the first place.

To start with, the short version will be more forgiving and will inspire more confidence as the sights don't appear to move as much. Some say it's the best way to start in air pistol (pilkguns for example).

But can't remember seeing any short version of any top tier air pistol in a major international competition (and if they did appear, you could count them with the fingers on one hand and still have fingers to spare...), and surely not in a final... So...

Hope this helps
TomAmlie

Post by TomAmlie »

The Morini has the rear sight set further back on the short than on the standard, which gives you the same sight radius for both. The Steyr has the rear sight in the same location on each, so the compact does have a shorter sight radius. I'm not familiar enough with shooting a compact to tell you if it makes any difference.
pgmlml

Post by pgmlml »

If you buy a walther LP400 alu model you can move the the back sight and the front sight all along the barrel sleeve, getting from 15 to 40cm os sight radius! I'm not trying to influence you, just showing you other options...
Tyka

Post by Tyka »

Thank you for your replies!

The reason I am looking at short pistols tho is that I am a really tiny woman, at the moment I have a Baikal MP 46M which is too heavy (still fun, but only during the first 30 shots and definitely not for daily practice). When I told my coach that I am looking at getting a lighter pistol he suggested getting a short one and I thought it would be a good idea since it would probably balance better with my short arm.

I have tried a friends Morini 162E short and I really liked it but after reading on this forums the Steyr LP10 seems to be the top favorite pistol among shooters (and it looks so nice :) ), hence I have taken the compact LP10 in to consideration and the only possible downside that I can find with the Steyr is the shorter sight radius. And now I am also glancing at the Walther LP400 ALU...

I had no idea picking an air gun would be this hard, my .22 was a much easier choice. O.o
Last edited by Tyka on Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SamEEE

Post by SamEEE »

To a certain extent you can make a Morini 162 shorter by moving the front sight rearwards on the compensator.

Hard to make a short longer without buying a long barrel.

There are 4 different configurations possible from factory.

Long barrel, normal sight radius
Short barrel, normal sight radius
Long barrel, extended sight radius
Short barrel, extended sight radius

Pilkguns has a nice offer which you should check out if you are in doubt.

At my Pistol Club we start the kids on Short Barrel, Short Sight Radius. I started with the same, it helped I think.

I would add that if you are getting a short one that you should get a mechanical trigger otherwise you end up with a massive grip with the electronics housing in it regardless of how small your hands are.
Image Image
flolo

Post by flolo »

There's also a sight extension for the lp10:

http://www.pilkguns.com/steyrrearrail.htm
pgmlml

Post by pgmlml »

Tyka, if weight is a problem you can consider the Walther LP400 carbon with a short cylinder (full size pistol). Some Juniors on my club use that!
Tyka

Post by Tyka »

Thank you all for your good advice and tips, I just wanted to report that I decided to get the short Morini 162e after all, had the opportunity to try one yesterday and it felt absolutely magical.

I realize this thread wen off topic pretty fast, sorry about that!