Walther LP400 ALU review

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
pgmlml

Walther LP400 ALU review

Post by pgmlml »

Hi guys,
Just got my new LP400. I admit I was a bit scared at first because I hadn’t the opportunity to try it as much as I wanted before buying it…

First impression:

- beautiful gun, with good design, but somehow looks fragile.
- the grip has a nice wood. It fits my hand well, but looks to thin for a M size.
- factory setup is shit! The 3,8mm front sight don’t work for me… the long and light first stage pull and the 2nd stage "brick wall "makes me Panic!
- Not so light as I expected, but…

After some adjusting my opinion somethings changed:

- it’s still a beautiful gun, but when you touch it, open it, adjust it, you fell it a very well constructed gun! Looks fragile but is very well built! Probably the most precise gun I ever saw!
- After some adaptation, the grip feels very comfortable and when compared to other guns it doesn’t fell thin anymore! The others feel like a ver big chunk of wood…lol. Removing the grip without changing grip position its a very cool update to the old LP300.
- the trigger was a pain in the ass to adjust, not because of the springs, but because of the sear adjustment! I had to adjust it for 1/12 of a turn ( yes, just a turn 30º )! But it is safe! Now it feels very good and consistent! My setup is around 420g +90g!
- The rear sight is nice, with all adjustments. The front sight is useful, with 3 different widths (3,8mm, 4,4mmm and 4,7mmm), but I would prefer individual front sights, like the benelli or steyr.
- At first I though I would prefer a lighter gun (always thought the carbon version would be too light)… The gun weights 990g, 1020g with the extra barrel weights. I do prefer the gun with the extra weights, because it lets me dial on a perfect balance, and fells more stable!

Shooting the LP400:
- I only had 3 sessions shooting it, and I’m still adjusting sights, trigger position and grip angle…
- It’s a smooth shooter! Dont feel any kind of recoil or muzzle flip..
- Some how it feels easy to shoot 10s, but its also very easy to shoot 7’s… It’s like it “amplifies” your good or bad technique!!!

Conclusion:
- Love it!
- Better construction that I expected
- Doesn’t make me a better shooter, which I expected!
- Now i feel i have a gun for the next 10 years...

cheers!!!
django

Re: Walther LP400 ALU review

Post by django »

yeah this gun look fragile but literally

Removing the grip without changing the grip position: my advice do not overuse. Short locking bolt and screw easily worn / damaged. Mine was broken. When I emailed them Walther actually asked me what I was doing. Of course, turning to release grip when setting trigger LOL. I am serious shooter. I need open gun and make adjustment when shooting on new shooting range on a championship. it's not 100% same situation on each shooting range. This is one of the considerations when I first bought it, and it turns out the weakness of Walther lp400. I asked for a replacement bolt but never sent. Finally I fix itself to the metal workshop to replace the larger bolt somewhat more powerful and immediately sell the gun back into my old lp10. If you do not put your gun properly be shifted because the bolt is not sturdy enough to support the weapon. I often practice and experience. Maybe if you wear occasionally will not experience it. My suggestion is sufficiently tighten the bolts not too strong and not too frequent opening and tighten.

screw on the compressed air tube looks more refined than steyr or Morini. careful to put into the gun. Pay attention to cleanliness. My friend may be sloppy or what did not notice if there was dust on the lead screw when installing the tube is damaged. I saw when it happen on local shooting. When when my friend asked for help gun leaking after I check the inside of the tube turns screw chipped. I never saw it on fwb, steyr , or morini (that only gun i found on my local shooting range)

The problem lp400 package only includes a single tube. Fortunately a local repair shop can fix it.

This is my first and last experience with walther air gun.

Hope you enjoy your new weapon hopefully my experience is useful for you.
pgmlml

Re: Walther LP400 ALU review

Post by pgmlml »

My club has 4 Walther Lp300... everyboy use them, and they never had any problems (at least for the last 2 years)!

I'm constantly changing my setup, so I remove the grip often, but I never thight screws too much (because I know the next day i'll be changing somethiong again)! Back to the days where I was riding a bicicle I learnd much about torque and assembling... in the begining I would tight screws 3 times more than needed, and when I first used a torque tool, everything became cleared! I have a long history of over tightening screws and fucking things up! This time it's not going to happen ;)

A second cylinder would be great, but I expect mine to work at least 3 years without any problem on the o-rings!
We'll have to wait and see! ...But i still dont think it's a fragile weapon!

cheers