Rules for Attaching Weight to an Air Pistol

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
jjgun

Rules for Attaching Weight to an Air Pistol

Post by jjgun »

Are their any rules about attaching weight to an air pistol? For example, can you attach weight using double-back tape? I could not find anything in the rule book, but I seem to recall somebody saying that anything added had to be permanently attached. Thanks.
David M

Re: Rules for Attaching Weight to an Air Pistol

Post by David M »

Fitted at gun check, don't exceed max wt and fit in the box.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

David M wrote:Fitted at gun check, don't exceed max wt and fit in the box.
And 8.4.1.6 Movement or Oscillation Reduction Systems. Any device, mechanism or system that actively reduces, slows or minimizes pistol oscillations or movements before the shot is released is prohibited.

But yes, how you mount it is up to you.
conradin

Post by conradin »

What about weivght that attaches to a rod that you can rotate or move, such as those use by MG or SAM? I even saw shooters will Steyr instal those kind of weights. They will not fit the box, unless perhaps they rotate the rods inward.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

conradin wrote:What about weivght that attaches to a rod that you can rotate or move, such as those use by MG or SAM? I even saw shooters will Steyr instal those kind of weights. They will not fit the box, unless perhaps they rotate the rods inward.
If they fit in the box in the position used then they are OK: if they don't then they aren't.
conradin

Post by conradin »

David Levene wrote:
conradin wrote:What about weivght that attaches to a rod that you can rotate or move, such as those use by MG or SAM? I even saw shooters will Steyr instal those kind of weights. They will not fit the box, unless perhaps they rotate the rods inward.
If they fit in the box in the position used then they are OK: if they don't then they aren't.
So if I rotate the weight rods inward so that it pass the shoe box test, I am not allowed to rotate it outward to the desire position knowing that with that position it will not fit the shoe box?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

conradin wrote:
David Levene wrote:
So if I rotate the weight rods inward so that it pass the shoe box test, I am not allowed to rotate it outward to the desire position knowing that with that position it will not fit the shoe box?
If you tried that then I'm pretty sure you would get chosen for a "targetted" post-competition check, or interupted during the match.

Rule 6.7.9.5 "Target Testing (selection of athletes on a non-random basis) may be done when a Jury has credible evidence that an athlete has altered or attempted to alter his gun, clothing or equipment."

Rule 6.8.5 "Jury Members have the right to examine the guns, equipment, positions, etc., of the athletes at any time, during training and competitions."
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

conradin wrote:
David Levene wrote:
Does the notation 'DSQ' mean anything?
David M

Post by David M »

"DSQ" - dumb shooting question ?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

David M wrote:"DSQ" - dumb shooting question ?
;-)
John Marchant

Post by John Marchant »

David Levene wrote:
David M wrote:"DSQ" - dumb shooting question ?
;-)
Think that says it all.
Pheyden

Post by Pheyden »

Spencer wrote:
David M wrote:Fitted at gun check, don't exceed max wt and fit in the box.
And 8.4.1.6 Movement or Oscillation Reduction Systems. Any device, mechanism or system that actively reduces, slows or minimizes pistol oscillations or movements before the shot is released is prohibited.

But yes, how you mount it is up to you.
Spencer, in this particular instance the ISSF is referring to "active" systems (i.e. Miniature, spinning gyro), hich would work wonderfully well. Weights would AFAIK be classified as passive, or inactive, devices but would have to fit in "the box" as intended to be used.
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

I think the ISSF is referring to dynamic vibration absorbers or tuned mass dampers more than gyros, so really they're passive systems.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

JamesH wrote:I think the ISSF is referring to dynamic vibration absorbers or tuned mass dampers more than gyros, so really they're passive systems.
Passive systems are allowed. It's active systems like gyros that are banned.

I get the impression that the rule was introduced proactively, before the widespread introduction of such active systems.