walther LP 300 trigger varying in weight

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
97nick

walther LP 300 trigger varying in weight

Post by 97nick »

hi folks, my LP 300 trigger is not holding its set weight. it has started to change quite a lot even from shot to shot. I did a search and found a few references to the problem, but can it be fixed? is there anything I can do?
it probably needs a service, but will the trigger just go back to the way it is now. I cant really afford to get it looked at
rmca

Re: walther LP 300 trigger varying in weight

Post by rmca »

First thing I would do is set it to proper weight and then use nail varnish or something similar to set the screws in place. Just a small dab on where the screw contacts the frame.
Then do 60 shots and weigh it again.
If it's fine, it was the screws unscrewing with fire, if not, probably the springs are "tired" and need to be replaced.

Hope this helps
97nick

Post by 97nick »

rmca wrote:First thing I would do is set it to proper weight and then use nail varnish or something similar to set the screws in place. Just a small dab on where the screw contacts the frame.
Then do 60 shots and weigh it again.
If it's fine, it was the screws unscrewing with fire, if not, probably the springs are "tired" and need to be replaced.

Hope this helps
cheers it did help! I dont know if the problem is fixed yet, but it feels better:
I took off the grip, took out the trigger mechanism, (I did NOT dismantle it!) my thoughts were that the gun is over ten years old, so perhaps some oil or grease had got clogged up and thicker. I bathed the trigger box in spirit, then when dry, I did the same again with light oil.
I set up the trigger very carefully then backed out the screws three turns, added a tiny bit of locktite, and screwed back in three turns.
I let the oil drain out, wiped dry, and reassembled. it seems better, but time will tell :)
Rover

Post by Rover »

See! Your filthy habits had caught up with you.
Brian Girling

Post by Brian Girling »

[/quote]
added a tiny bit of locktite, and screwed back in three turns.
[/quote]

Blue not red I hope.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Purple LockTite is even better:

http://tds.loctite.com/tds5/docs/222-EN.PDF