Dry fire ?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
toddinjax

Dry fire ?

Post by toddinjax »

Usually dry fire is suggested to be done against a blank wall, and I can see (no pun) the value in that. Seeing as my "range" is connected to my home, is there any reason to not also, or exclusively, dry fire on my regular range with the target and lighting that I live fire with?
dschaller

Re: Dry fire ?

Post by dschaller »

The advantage of training against a blank wall is that it eliminates a distraction (the alignment with the target) from your focus on sight alignment perfection as the shot breaks. Of course, it also helps to train the arm and the rest of the body to be still, and there dry fire with a target is helpful. My thought is that both serve a purpose, so I recommend doing both.
ricardopresto

Post by ricardopresto »

I agree. My biggest problem has been target alignment distracting me from sight alignment, and I've found that the best way to deal with that is by alternating dry fire on a blank wall with dry fire on a target (ie. "right, now there's a target there: do the same thing as you were doing on the blank wall").
dronning

Post by dronning »

I dry fire only on a blank wall. It allows me to completely focus on the front sight, Trigger and follow through. I use a target only for live fire practice. I also dry fire (blank wall) with my eyes closed with full concentration on my trigger. All you feel is your grip and the trigger you can really tell if you have a good trigger release. I hold my follow through and open my eyes to see the sights still aligned - definitely a 10! It works for me.

- Dave
Certified Safety Instructor: Rifle & Pistol
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~ Ben Franklin