Matchguns MG2R current revision?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
paulNZ

Matchguns MG2R current revision?

Post by paulNZ »

Hi all. I am interested in purchasing a Matchguns MG2R. Can anyone provide me with any advice on how I can ensure I am purchasing the latest revision of the firearm without taking the dealer's word for it. What's the current manufacturing run's serial number range? I understand there have been some changes over the product's life.

Thanks.
j-team

Re: Matchguns MG2R current revision?

Post by j-team »

Just something to consider in your decision making:

http://toz35.blogspot.co.nz/2014/09/wch ... l-men.html

http://toz35.blogspot.co.nz/2014/09/wch ... stics.html

And, do a search on here for other threads regarding MG2
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

My MG2R is a little over 12 months old and has a serial number 51xx. I am not sure that any changes have been made for a couple of years, so the serial number beyond 4500 might not mean much.
I use Eley Club and find the pistol flawless.
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

Ive hurd lots of bad things about matchguns. all from people that dont own them or from people who bought the very early ones and then sold them. I bought one for my father and it has been flawless for 2 years now
paulNZ

Post by paulNZ »

deadeyedick wrote:My MG2R is a little over 12 months old and has a serial number 51xx. I am not sure that any changes have been made for a couple of years, so the serial number beyond 4500 might not mean much.
I use Eley Club and find the pistol flawless.
That's really great. Thanks for the serial num.
therider

Post by therider »

Muffo wrote:Ive hurd lots of bad things about matchguns. all from people that dont own them or from people who bought the very early ones and then sold them. I bought one for my father and it has been flawless for 2 years now
I totally agree. See for example the posts on the MGH1 regarding the use of the security flas! I have seen the pistol in Munich and never seen any problem for the shooters.
I own a MGH1 since the wc in Munich last June. When I am on the right day, even if I shoot only since one year, I get a single hole on the target, as if the pistol were on a vice! I do not get this with my lp10E, but , being a beginner my opinion might not matter.
I still have to write a review, but I can anticipate that the pistol is great and I had no problems after 7000 diabolos. Fantastic trigger, and the air chamber just behind the diabolo removes most of the recoil. It is nearly as if it had an absorber. As I wrote on another occasion, the pistol was tested by a testing engineer in Munich for a big retailer, and he said that he had never seen such a well built pistol.

I have also met people who shoot MGH2 and are very happy with it.
therider

Post by therider »

Just as an example, the grip regulating screws have a stopper. Therefore the screws stay were you position them, without any need to use a drop of glue to keep the position.
jbshooter

Post by jbshooter »

I enjoy shooting my MG2R. It's an earlier model (serial 41_ _) retrofitted with RF components except for the slide which looks lighter on the newer photos. The large bit surrounding the muzzle (with the sprung-loaded sliding counterweights) can be either aluminium or steel and the difference between them is huge weightwise. I've settled on the steel one. The sights adjustment appears coarse like one click equals one ring. The grip is adjustable which is a huge plus for my injured arm, other guns have fixed grips with steep rake and don't point (for me). Mechanically its a complicated gun - compared to say a Benelli or a Morini. It's also a "tall" gun - by that I mean it's a long way from the trigger to the boreline due to the tubular mag between. You get a six-inch barrel this way but some would prefer the boreline lower in the hand. I don't know if longer barrel helps but it's my preference. I had a Walther SSP for a couple of years before the MG2. You can't argue against the statistics though, that Italian brand starting with P seems to have the numbers - only wish it had an adjustable grip! The MG2's return to line after recoil is second to none of all the guns I've owned. Same with the MG4.
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

Pardini definately have the runs on the board but it is also a case of what ever is in fassion. 6 years ago 90 percent of air pistols being shot at the highest level were morini 162eis now it is all lp10es and bugger all morinis. and yet the scores are the same. the same can be said in most other matches. what is popular comes and goes and the same scores are shot.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Here is a picture of the latest slide as referred to by JB. Much slimmer in every way.

I also bought the ergal front weight and found the weight of the pistol was reduced to 941 gms., a saving of approximately 200 gms. I then purchased the 4 optional tungsten weights that insert into the two vacant lower holes and have now found my perfect balance, with even further recoil absorption.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (36.86 KiB) Viewed 2281 times
Last edited by deadeyedick on Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

j-team wrote:Just something to consider in your decision making:

http://toz35.blogspot.co.nz/2014/09/wch ... l-men.html

http://toz35.blogspot.co.nz/2014/09/wch ... stics.html

And, do a search on here for other threads regarding MG2
As there were obviously a few Matchguns in the RFP matches at the World Championships, does anybody have information on whether they had malfunction problems?

Was anybody there?
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Can't comment on the World Championships David, however David Chapman from Australia won the RFP Gold medal at the Commonwealth Games held recently in Glasgow without a hitch.
For what it is worth my MG2R has never malfunctioned since owning it and firing several thousand rounds.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

deadeyedick wrote:Can't comment on the World Championships David, however David Chapman from Australia won the RFP Gold medal at the Commonwealth Games held recently in Glasgow without a hitch.
I know, I was there.

I had just heard rumours that things were a bit more "complicated" at the World Championships.
jbshooter

Post by jbshooter »

deadeyedick wrote:Here is a picture of the latest slide as referred to by JB. Much slimmer in every way.

I also bought the ergal front weight and found the weight of the pistol was reduced to 941 gms., a saving of approximately 200 gms. I then purchased the 4 optional tungsten weights that insert into the two vacant lower holes and have now found my perfect balance, with even further recoil absorption.
Where did you find out about the tungsten weights - I can't see them on their website?
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

I contacted Stefano Calzetti at Matchguns asking if anything was meant to occupy the two vacant lower spaces in the weight. He replied that Matchguns made tungsten weights ( two per hole ) for the purpose of adding weight if needed and also providing extra recoil benefit.
RJP

Post by RJP »

Where did you find out about the tungsten weights - I can't see them on their website?
I just put two .32 cal bullets in each hole to add a little more weight to the front of my MG2R.

I used round nose bullets and I had to shave off a little lead to make them fit tight.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

For what it's worth the weights supplied by Matchguns are not a tight fit and slide backward and forward when the gun is raised or lowered.
jbshooter

Post by jbshooter »

Sounds to me like there should be a lightish compression spring between the weight(s) and the screwed plug?
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

I agree JB. Stefano made no mention of springs, however I have punched some plugs from 8 mm. foam placing them between the weights. Seems to work fine with no apparent change in recoil.
paulNZ

Post by paulNZ »

For those that own and/or use an MG2, what's your impression of the fit and finish? Any significant variation from one unit to the next?