Steyr LP10 Air Cylinder Questions

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Scrench

Steyr LP10 Air Cylinder Questions

Post by Scrench »

Does anyone know the cc volume of the long and short air cylinders?

Does anyone know of a way to unscrew the air cylinder from the fill adapter without losing a bunch of air? No matter how fast I try to unscrew it from the adapter, which is screwed into the K valve on my scuba tank, it seems like I lose a lot of air. Any way around this to keep a full charge?

Thanks,

Scrench
j-team

Post by j-team »

Most of that air you hear escape is the pressurised air in the yoke and adaptor rather than from your cylinder. I wouldn't worry about it.
dddstudio

Post by dddstudio »

Check the pressure gauge after you unscrew it. If it is around 200 bar, you are fine. Also if the small drop of pressure really concerns you, maybe try filling it just a hair above 200 bar. Also note that cooling also decreases the pressure a bit (when you fill it up it get warmer).
Brian Girling

Post by Brian Girling »

The compact cylinder is 0.07L it's printed on it.

As the gun cylinder is unscrewed its valve closes before the seal is 'broken' therefore air can not be released from the cylinder only the connecting pipework.
markwarren

Post by markwarren »

I have bought a fill adapter which allows you to bleed the system before you take the cylinder off. This means the cylinders is unscrewed without any pressure on the threads which personally I prefer. They are made by a company called Best Fittings here in the UK.

Good shooting

Mark
Rover

Post by Rover »

We at the club have one of those devices, but it will drain a Steyr cylinder. Does yours not do the same?
FredB

not for Steyr

Post by FredB »

markwarren wrote:I have bought a fill adapter which allows you to bleed the system before you take the cylinder off. This means the cylinders is unscrewed without any pressure on the threads which personally I prefer. They are made by a company called Best Fittings here in the UK.

Good shooting

Mark
That works for Morini cylinders, but not for Steyr. Different valve setup.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

With the Steyr, you just need to back off the cylinder a turn or two first, or the vent will drain your cylinder.
BobSki

Post by BobSki »

Gwhite wrote:With the Steyr, you just need to back off the cylinder a turn or two first, or the vent will drain your cylinder.
+1

Just unscrew the cylinder 1 turn, THEN open the bleed valve.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Why bother with all this; just unscrew it.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

The difference may be minor, but it puts extra wear & tear on the threads. What's worse, as you unscrew the cylinder, the strength of the threaded connection goes down, as the force from the air is supported by fewer & fewer threads. Over time, this will tend to mess up the last couple threads on both the cylinder & the adapter.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Oh, BS!
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Do you have an engineering background to support that statement, or are you just spouting hot air (as per usual)?

I said the difference may be minor, but the rest of my statement is not a matter of conjecture. The forces are there, the support is reduced, and there WILL be accelerated wear on the last couple threads. All of which can be avoided if you vent the pressure as soon as you have unscrewed the cylinder enough to close the internal valve.

If you do not wish to treat your equipment with that degree of extra care, go right ahead.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I'll keep it simple for you engineering types.

After about one turn of the cylinder the pressure has completely vented. You cannot use some device to vent a Steyr cylinder; you must unscrew it a little bit. Therefore, after that has occurred you are doing no more than unscrewing the cylinder.

If you fear that is wearing out the gun and cylinder, I offer no help. Perhaps your Steyr is different from mine and many others I've seen.
j-team

Post by j-team »

Gwhite wrote:The difference may be minor, but it puts extra wear & tear on the threads. What's worse, as you unscrew the cylinder, the strength of the threaded connection goes down, as the force from the air is supported by fewer & fewer threads. Over time, this will tend to mess up the last couple threads on both the cylinder & the adapter.
I hope you have allowed for the fact that the volume of the trapped air is increasing as you unscrew the cylinder therefore reducing in pressure and so reducing the force on the thread...

I agree with Rover. Just unscrew the thing, the cylinder will be expired before the thread wears out!
markwarren

Re: not for Steyr

Post by markwarren »

FredB wrote:
markwarren wrote:I have bought a fill adapter which allows you to bleed the system before you take the cylinder off. This means the cylinders is unscrewed without any pressure on the threads which personally I prefer. They are made by a company called Best Fittings here in the UK.

Good shooting

Mark
Fred - I have one and it works fine on the Steyr thank you! I can bleed the system before I take the cylinder off.
markwarren

Post by markwarren »

Rover wrote:I'll keep it simple for you engineering types.

After about one turn of the cylinder the pressure has completely vented. You cannot use some device to vent a Steyr cylinder; you must unscrew it a little bit. Therefore, after that has occurred you are doing no more than unscrewing the cylinder.

If you fear that is wearing out the gun and cylinder, I offer no help. Perhaps your Steyr is different from mine and many others I've seen.

Yes you can.

I am not an engineering type but I have one and it works. Don't know what else to say really!
FredB

Re: not for Steyr

Post by FredB »

markwarren wrote:
FredB wrote:

Good shooting

Mark
Fred - I have one and it works fine on the Steyr thank you! I can bleed the system before I take the cylinder off.
Mark,
It's hard to argue with actual experience. Would you please give us more details - possibly photos - about your fill adapter? I can't imagine an arrangement that would allow what you describe, but I don't claim to have an unlimited imagination.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I'd be curious, too. I have one and it does not work as you describe. We also have such a device on the compressor we use to fill single cylinders at my club. It doesn't work, either.

It WILL work if you back off the cylinder until the valve in it closes, THEN bleed the air.

By that time the air in the system has probably bled out.

As I said, not worth the trouble. I have the two original cylinders (with the pop-out fill indicators and way out of date) and they still work fine.

Hey, Scott....how about kicking in on this one (and get some REAL experience going).
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

I got back from Perry last night late Been up there 3 times in the last 5 weeks.

As to this thread, I have never seen Steyr threads needing replaced from wear on either the adapter, cylinder. or regulator. Honestly of all the manufacturers, Steyr threads seem to be the most trouble free.