Modifying Rink Grip Palm Shelf

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
breakfastchef

Modifying Rink Grip Palm Shelf

Post by breakfastchef »

Just received my first 10M pistol fitted with a LH Rink grip. Only adjustment so far was to lower the palm shelf to relieve the compression of my hand.

The back of the shelf, though is leaving a bruise on the heel of my hand. I assume this is a sign that I should sand down the shelf to relieve this pressure point. Since I've not done this before, I am looking for suggestions on how to properly go about the task.

OR should I try to further lower the back of the shelf?

SamEEE

Post by SamEEE »

I would lower the rear of the shelf before anything else. You can't put the timber back.

It should hold your hand but not crush it; as a point of reference.

Try that for a week.

Edit: The Rink grips in my opinion come too short in barrel axis length to hold the entirety of the hand, especially the palm shelf.

This is probably what is causing the pain is that the torque of the gun in hand not being adequately supported.

Does your hand in the grip look something like my shitty ms-paint drawing?

You could either remedy it by extending the current grip or ordering a new palm shelf plus the dimension to just before your wrist as illustrated by the red in my crappy drawing.

Bear in mind it has to fit in the specification box and the grip cannot touch your wrist.
rmca

Post by rmca »

See if you can resolve it first with the adjustments in the grip.
If not, then a medium grosse file should do it.
Or if you have to remove a lot of material, a dremel tool will be less tiring. Go slow and test as you go.

Add a drop of oil when you're done to bring back the color of the wood.

Hope this helps
scausi

grip

Post by scausi »

As with all adjustable rink grips the palm shelf is adjustable front and back.
Loosen the main screw on the side of the grip 1/4 turn , then turn the allan screw to the rear of the underside of the grip, anti clockwise this will drop the back end of the palm shelf . when to your liking tighten the main screw on the side. cheers S
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

One thing I would try, if re-adjusting the shelf does not help, is make a duplicate out of pine wood, then carve it up, get it to what you like,
then work on the Rink shelf.
Sometimes you find out digging on a grip doesn't really help, and your stuck adding back with some ugly filler.
It's fairly simple to make with a band saw and drill.
I have done this a couple of times.
Bone Idle

Post by Bone Idle »

SamEEE wrote:
You could either remedy it by extending the current grip or ordering a new palm shelf plus the dimension to just before your wrist as illustrated by the red in my crappy drawing.

Bear in mind it has to fit in the specification box and the grip cannot touch your wrist.
Good point and very good suggestion. You could extend the palm shelf with suitable means (wood, polyester putty etc) to the extent the gun is within the rules: Does not touch/hide wrist, gun size within 420 x 200 x 50 mm box. Removed same problem for me, and made grip generally (much) better.
breakfastchef

Thank You All

Post by breakfastchef »

This grip is new to me and I need to take some time to get used to it. I really prefer not removing wood if not absolutely necessary.

I did further lower the back end of the shelf. That has taken off much of the pressure on the heel of the hand. The Rink instructions talk of adjusting the screws together so as to not put undue stress on the shelf, so I wanted to make adjustments slowly. I do see where a longer shelf might be beneficial based on SamEEE's lovely diagram. I may try to fashion a mock-up for testing in the future.

Many thanks for the fine suggestions.
breakfastchef

Thank You All

Post by breakfastchef »

This grip is new to me and I need to take some time to get used to it. I really prefer not removing wood if not absolutely necessary.

I did further lower the back end of the shelf. That has taken off much of the pressure on the heel of the hand. The Rink instructions talk of adjusting the screws together so as to not put undue stress on the shelf, so I wanted to make adjustments slowly. I do see where a longer shelf might be beneficial based on SamEEE's lovely diagram. I may try to fashion a mock-up for testing in the future.

Many thanks for the fine suggestions.
django

Post by django »

i have my new rink and find similar problem. The palm rest shorter than it should. I must add a putty to make it little longer. I order small grip. All feel good except palm rest to short.