LP10 bolt to barrel seal

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
top end

LP10 bolt to barrel seal

Post by top end »

Have done the 'tissue' test whilst firing (put a piece of tissue paper on top of the loading port and fire pistol to see if it moves). It does, indicating a leak. I have moved the barrel back, as per Steyr videos, but can't stop an escape of air. O ring is fine. The question is, how much of an air tight seal is required between the end of the barrel and the bolt? Is it something to be concerned about. By the way, this was tested on a fairly new lp10e, but it also is the case on an older lp10 that I have.
argus

Post by argus »

I believe it is normal for some air to escape from the catch lever when fired (part 61 on the schematic) in order to release the stabilizer (60). Is this where your leak is coming from?
top end

Post by top end »

It's hard to say, but perfectly possible. Explain how the stabiliser works?
rmca

Post by rmca »

Have you measured the exit speed of the pellet?
How many shots can you do with a full cylinder?

Air escape is not that uncommon, and to me, it's only a matter of concern when it is not constant (varying exit speed), or it consumes too much air (decreasing the amount of shoots per cylinder).

If it still bothers you, then a o ring exchange should solve the problem.

Hope this helps
rmca

Post by rmca »

top end wrote:Explain how the stabiliser works?
Best way to find out how it works is to watch the service video at:

http://www.steyr-sportwaffen.com/index. ... ice-movies

Adjusting or checking the stabilizer

Hope this helps
top end

Post by top end »

I have adjusted the stabiliser on these and other pistols and thought I understand how it works. I think I was asking how it was activated, as I didn't know that it worked on blowback air as suggested.
argus

Post by argus »

I'm no expert so stand to be corrected.
If you look at the schematic there is no mechanical linkage that lifts the catch lever to release the stabilizer when you pull the trigger. Rather as the bolt (59) fills with air the pressure lifts ball bearing (66) via a small hole in the bolt which in turn pivots the catch lever (61) on pin (65) and releases the stabilizer (60) which then travels backwards under the force exerted by spring (64), at the same time spring (68) returns the catch lever (61) back to the lock position with the force from spring (68) acting on the ball bearing (66) via the catch lever (61) preventing excess air escaping from the hole in the bolt.
Perhaps use a second person with a smaller piece of tissue to determine where the air is coming from exactly. If you are getting large variations in pellet speed or using too much air maybe spring (68) is weak or broken so not resealing the hole in the bolt effectively?

Brian Girling

Post by Brian Girling »

If the pistol is cocked after the last shot is fired the catch lever should be released with pressure from for example a thumb nail to prevent the pistol being stored with spring 68 under load.
top end

Post by top end »

Thanks all - fairly sorted now, good explanations all round.