32 bullet and barrel sizes

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

BullseyeEd

32 bullet and barrel sizes

Post by BullseyeEd »

In my 5/14/14 "dissertation", on a load for the .32 S&WL for the Walther GSP. I have had a question as to why I recommended the sizing to 0.335"
dia. It is not, of course, because the hard-cast bullet would be re-swaged to a smaller diameter as a soft lead bullet is using the standard 0.331" die. If the brass is sized to 0.335" dia. as specified, the bullets are much easier to start in the case and are seated perfectly straight in them. If the brass is sized to standard 0.331", not only is it more difficult to start the bullets but there is a greater probability that some bullets will be "cocked" in the case when seated. But the 0.335" case allows the insertion of the bullet to almost full length by hand perfectly straight every time. There's an added bonus to sizing to a 0.335" dia. in that the brass will last significantly longer (mine have been reloaded 33 times with very little loss due to work-hardening and cracking.) It also should be obvious that the bullets used for matches and the best groups should be weighed to an average plus or minus 0.3% (in this case plus or minus 0.3 gr.) This recommendation is for the standard Walther barrel. Another barrel is not necessary.
PFribley

.32 S&W Long

Post by PFribley »

I quit sizing my brass a long time ago. I use a 9mm sizing die to decap only.