Pardini SP scope rings moving forward.

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Trooperjake

Pardini SP scope rings moving forward.

Post by Trooperjake »

I have the new SP Bullseye with the Pardini supplied scope rings.
2 months ago the scope moved forward. It seemed very tight, with no movement. I re did the ring mounting, using loctite and Devcon Plastic Steel Epoxy. I even filled the forward grooves with the epoxy. Yesterday at practice I noticed the zero moved. I looked at the scope, and it had moved all the way forward. But it was extremely tight with no felt movement.

Anyone have this problem and a cure?
pistol champ

Post by pistol champ »

I also have the problem, but I do not have a solution. Has anyone talked to Pardini about it?
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

I emailed Pardini this posting.
One shooter told me Pardini sent him another lower only ring, and he placed it in front of the scope ring.
I can't believe the epoxy I used did not work.
I was thinking of having the top of the frame drilled and tapped, with a screw in front of the ring. But the frame is so thin.
I was also thinking about brazing a piece on top in front of the ring, but don't know if the frame is aluminum or steel.

Do you keep moving yours back?
pistol champ

Post by pistol champ »

Yes, I loosen it and reattach it. I get a couple hundred rounds through before it moves too far.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I don't know if this is any help to you, but on my springer air rifles there is a spot in the rail that has a bump (or pin) that prevents rearward movement of the scope.

I can't believe epoxy didn't work either.
cgroppi

Post by cgroppi »

I got an extra pardini ring, machined off most of it and attached it like an air rifle scope stop just in front of the forward ring. This cured the problem. I only ever had an issue with the 32 ACP, never with the 22.
yana

Post by yana »

Did you degrease everything before mounting?
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

Yana
Yes I used tricloretholine and fine sandpaper where the parts were epoxied.
It only lasted about a month.
It only happens after a 32 CF match.
Doesn't seem to move with the 22.
mahoak

Post by mahoak »

Check where your front ring is in relation to the side handles of the bolt. The .32 bolt has a much fatter handle and it can catch the front ring if it clears it before the forward rebound. Just enough play in the bolt to allow that. I had to position mine so the bolt didn't clear it when fully to the rear. I also filed a little more off the outside bottom of the ring to give it a slight more clearance. You don't need to file near the sharp attachment point of the ring, just the thicker outside of the bottom. Mine hasn't moved in a year now.

Mike
scott4687

Post by scott4687 »

I purchased a set of rings from Larry Carter. His web site is Larrysguns.com
This was several years ago, so I'm not sure if he still makes them or not. But, I've never had any problems once I installed them. I think he files them down some to fit better. Anyways, once installed they stay there.
Scott
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

Forgot to mention in the original posting, it's when I shoot the 32 auto, not the 22 that the rings move forward.
I also got a PM to look for the bolt hitting the front ring.
On mine it's a possibility, it is so close to one another.
I had sent an email to Pardini, about the problem.
I didn't get an answer, but I got an email, that a package was mailed to me.
I know that Pardini is busy at Fort Benning with the US Team selection matches.
cgroppi

Post by cgroppi »

When I complained to Pardini, they sent me a new set of rings. The new rings did not solve the problem, but I then had a free extra set of rings I could machine down to make the scope stop.

The rings were not identically the same height, so I couldn't just put a third ring on. If they were identical, I would have just tried three rings.
Barry G

Post by Barry G »

On my .32 Long I filed a sharper edge on the part that grips and used a carbide scribe to stipple the grooves on the gun the ring grips. No problem since. Might look a bit rough if you remove scope but it works.
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

An update:
Pardini sent me another set of rings.
I re-epoxied the first set of rings, using a lot of acetone to clean grooves.
I took one of the new rings and put it in front of the others.
So I have one ring in the rear tube and 2 on the front tube.
On the first set of rings I took some off the bottom where it comes close to the bolt, it seemed like it might be touching the bolt slightly.
The new rings had more clearance, and clears the bolt by a lot.
Will test the gun in a couple of days, plus this Sunday is a 2700, so it should be a good test.
pistol champ

Post by pistol champ »

I bought another set of rings from Pardini mounted them and did not overtighten them. I have 1200 rounds through it now without any movement. I'm calling it solved.
Bob-Riegl

Post by Bob-Riegl »

Trooper, epoxy is not going to hold on the smooth blued barrel. I have used ultra dots & rings on all my Pardinis specially new SP mech. Once fastened I have not had a zero move in many years. Those small "rails" on the shroud are amazing they accept the rings--- Good luck with the solution you find, IMHO get rings from Ultra-Dot West. "Doc"
Dipnet

Pardini SP scope rings moving forward

Post by Dipnet »

While shooting my 32ACP barrel last weekend, I discovered my scope (Matchdot II) had moved forward as well. I mentioned this to Pardini, and they said I may need to install a third scope ring, but did not offer to send one.

In looking at the rings supplied by Pardini, I think they are B-Square rings. I may opt to replace these with ones with stronger base attachments (e.g., two screws). For now, I think I will try sharping and scoring the edges of the ring base.

I realize the 32ACP is relatively new but one would think Pardini would have found some rings that would stay put. Like others, I have absolutely no problems with the scope movement with the 22. Dipnet
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

Doc and Noel

I found out that epoxy will not hold.
Pardini sent me a new set of rings, I now have 3 rings on it, after this Sundays match, the scope slid forward slightly.
It's the thin groove on the frame that's the problem.
It needs the cross groove to prevent the movement, and deeper frame groove.
I do not believe the rings are B-Square. I was told who made them, but forgot. Then someone machines them. One problem is they are all machined slightly different.
I will have to look else where, or just re tighten them before a match.
I am using medium loctite, but it doesn't hold.

Doc, it only happens with the 32, I can practice 500 rounds with the 22 and it doesn't move.
pistol champ

Post by pistol champ »

Dipnet,
You live close to Pardini USA you should make an appointment with them to look over your gun and do what it takes to make the scope stop moving. They are great people to work with.
ghillieman

Post by ghillieman »

The milled base on my weaver rings seem to hold with out a problem. These rings can be bought from Brownells for about $10 and careful filing will contour the base accordingly. There could be an issue with your ring bases not getting enough "bite" on the rail.

Also, I see that Millett and Warne makes 19mm Euro dove tail rings. Warne makes a set of rings that with a quick disconnect lever. With that set up you could use these pistols in Bullseye and ISSF events. This is what I plan to go with.

One more thing. Years ago I saw a clip of, what I believed to be, Doug Koenig shooting a pistol event with a modified Pardini SP. The block that holds the barrel and weights was a new machined block and installed on his pistol. It looked like it had a rail machined into it that went back and he attached a red dot sight to it.