Shooting off a sandbag

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

charliek

Shooting off a sandbag

Post by charliek »

What is the best way to shoot a pistol off a sandbag? Do you rest the gun on the bag, or rest your wrist on the bag, put your forearms on the support or what? Thanks.
paw080

Post by paw080 »

Charlie, try every way you can think of. Then choose the way that yields

the tightest group.

Tony
lakesidemn

Post by lakesidemn »

You want the frame on the bag and snug it up against the trigger guard. I think it is nice to have another bag under your wrist and depending upon the bench, even more bags... Good article on this website: www.chuckhawks.com/shooting_handgun_bench_rest.htm

Don't get the end of the barrel too close to the bag or you'll be making holes in bag! Been there, done that.

Steve
Peter B

Wood

Post by Peter B »

I use a wooden rest. You can use a piece of carpet as a cussion.
chiltech500

Post by chiltech500 »

I've read you want to have your elbows on the bench, assuming you are using a bench or table top. As the gentleman said a bag under your wrist would help too. Isolate potential movement fore and aft.

My issue has been it seems difficult to pull the trigger with all that going on.
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

I can't shoot off of a sandbag - or two-handed, for that matter - for s**t.

I do my preliminary testing in a Random Rest and then the proof in the pudding is one-handed, first in training/league, then in competition. My good loads/lots shoot consistently within 1/2" of call at 50 yards.

The Random Rest gives me a general idea of what a gun/load combo might be capable of, and shooting it myself tells me what's really what.

Shooting off of sandbags makes me want to sell all of my guns and ammo for pennies on the dollar.

YMMV