Short line load

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Peter B

Short line load

Post by Peter B »

Is it realy worth having a seperate load for the short line? Anyone use the same load for both?
GunRunner

Post by GunRunner »

many shoot the same load for both, some shoot a better bullet at 50yds and use a cheaper or one they have more of for 25yds. Some shoot a 185 fmj-hp like zero or nosler at 50 and lead at 25. So it really depends on what your situation is. I shot the same load for years when good bullets were plentiful and cheaper, now I shoot a good 200 swc at 50 and a cheap 160 at 25.
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

It is possible to make your short line load lighter especially if you don't have a slide mount scope on your pistol. It will probably have worse accuracy at slower velocities but it might not be enough worse to matter. I still use a 200 grain bullet at the short line but it really doesn't matter because it has to recoil enough to operate the action no matter what the weight. If the heavier bullet just won't shoot accurately enough at slow velocities, you might choose a lighter bullet that has to be shot at higher speeds to make the gun cycle but will still be accurate without so much recoil. Slower powders make for less felt recoil but they can get pretty dirty with light loads. Anytime the gun is a semi automatic, getting the gun to be reliable and accurate at slow speeds at the same time is the challenge, but with a revolver I can go quite a bit slower at the short line using wad cutters weighing as light as 77 grains in a 38. They will still shoot around 4 inches at 50 yards so at 25 they are fine.
Peter B

Lite or Cost

Post by Peter B »

Years ago I shot the same load at both and then I changed and went lighter thinking less recoil. Now I am thinking any recoil you still have to get back on target. It not a cost thing to me because I cast although I can see why other don't want to spend the money (JHP). I shoot a 155 head with 3.5 of Bullseye at 25, yea it is like shooting a 38. Does it realy help, maybe my elbow, scores?
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

Yes, what everyone else said. Unless you are a supported shooter, save those expensive bullets for the fifty yard line.

Less wear and tear on your elbow and wrist,too.

I shoot 160g lead at the short line for 45, and 115g lead at the short line for centerfire 9mm.

Both those bullets are less than half the price of my long line loads.

Watch your crimp...and watch your OAL. Will generally make more difference at the short line, than bullet, or type of powder, to gun functioning.
lakesidemn

Post by lakesidemn »

I worked up two loads, mostly for accuracy but then I also don't have to mess with the dot settings each match and practice sessions.

I use a more accurate Zero 185 JHP which my gun likes better for 50yd, and then a 200gr LSWC for 25yd. Easy to change die settings for the two loads and now I won't forget to change the dot when it counts.
Jerry Keefer

Re: Short line load

Post by Jerry Keefer »

Peter B wrote:Is it realy worth having a seperate load for the short line? Anyone use the same load for both?
Absolutely..
Recoil ='s lost points..
I can't get some of my big guns to understand that, and insist on shooting Nosler HPs for the whole 2700.
It's a security blanket thing..:) Also more recoil is required to cycle slide mounts.
Back in the 60's, before the optics, the Bo Mar rib was dominate. Almost 100% shot 4 grs of bullseye LL and 3.5 grs of bullseye at SL.. using lead cast 185s. Some great scores were fired back then also..there were far less 2600 card holders back then.. The optics changed that..
Jerry