Training in sitting position

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
seamaster

Training in sitting position

Post by seamaster »

Training in sitting position was advocated by an old Russian coach. His Moscow team outshot all other Russian teams in the 80's using this unorthodox training.

Comments?

If it is good training, and one should shoot better in sitting position, why Paraolympic scores is no higher than Olympic scores?
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Possibly this was one part of his training process (or regime), not the total training programme?

in effect, removing the variables of stance, etc. is PART of many training processes for shooting - it is nothing new (old).
j-team

Re: Training in sitting position

Post by j-team »

seamaster wrote: If it is good training, and one should shoot better in sitting position, why Paraolympic scores is no higher than Olympic scores?
Try shooting in the sitting position before you declare that "one should shoot better". It's not as easy as you think it would be.
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

Shooting is a sport where we are trying to coordinate multiple activities to achieve a result.

Practising and perfecting each activity in isolation is more productive than trying to do them all at the same time.
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

When I first started shooting smallbore rifle, I had the most trouble with sitting. My body is not proportioned correctly for it nor do I have the flexibility to shoot it comfortably. I was able to shoot better scores than kneeling most of the time, but it took a lot of practice.
Last edited by Freepistol on Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
j-team

Post by j-team »

Freepistol wrote:When I first started shooting smallbore rifle, I had the most trouble with shitting...
That's the funniest spelling mistake of the day!
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

j-team wrote:
Freepistol wrote:When I first started shooting smallbore rifle, I had the most trouble with shitting...
That's the funniest spelling mistake of the day!
oops!
shaky hands

Re: Training in sitting position

Post by shaky hands »

seamaster wrote:Training in sitting position was advocated by an old Russian coach. His Moscow team outshot all other Russian teams in the 80's using this unorthodox training.

Comments?

If it is good training, and one should shoot better in sitting position, why Paraolympic scores is no higher than Olympic scores?
I think you need to reread his article again (available on Pilkguns), as you are missing the entire point of the training. In fact he describes how a world champion, when asked to join the sitting training, shot two 6s with his first two shots. Sitting position exercises have nothing to do with pistol shooters shooting "better" in sitting position.
seamaster

Post by seamaster »

Shaky Hands,

if Sitting position exercises have nothing to do with shooters shooting "better" in the sitting position,

then what is the derivative and attribute of that wonderful illustrating article?
shaky hands

Post by shaky hands »

Pretty much what JamesH said -- isolating and perfecting. It is not simply shooting in a sitting position per se that makes you shoot better in a standing position, you are supposed to use the proper (soft) rest to eliminate body sway and shoulder motion but not the motion in the wrist joint. The article will explain it better.
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

Really shooting in the sitting position allows you to see a perfect sight picture and achieve a perfect trigger release - without the distraction of body sway, muscle fatigue, breathing control etc.
shaky hands

Post by shaky hands »

JamesH wrote:Really shooting in the sitting position allows you to see a perfect sight picture and achieve a perfect trigger release - without the distraction of body sway, muscle fatigue, breathing control etc.
Indeed, these are the things one practices in a regular pistol sitting shooting position ("benchrest"), bud Piddubniy's method differs from the usual sitting position and trains a different element -- wrist locking.