Mid Winter Scores

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Jerry Keefer

Mid Winter Scores

Post by Jerry Keefer »

Anyone have a link to the Phoenix match scores..?? I can't get into the website..
Thanks
Jerry
cgroppi

Post by cgroppi »

They've yet to be posted.
Tony

Midwinter Scores

Post by Tony »

Should be as soon as I get the ok from Don to post the scores. Will send them to Ed Skinner nad he will update the website.
Jerry Keefer

Post by Jerry Keefer »

Thanks
cgroppi

Post by cgroppi »

Midwinter scores were just posted on www.arizonapistol.com. You have to register to see them.
shaky hands

Post by shaky hands »

cgroppi wrote:Midwinter scores were just posted on www.arizonapistol.com. You have to register to see them.
I already posted it a month or so ago -- registration does not work. Given this, one would question the decision of the Phoenix club to hide the (formerly available without registration) scores. It is hardly conductive to the popularity of the tournament.

===========================================
Access Denied
You are not authorized to access this page.

If you would like to Register or otherwise join this website, please click Contact to let us know.
Tony

Az Website

Post by Tony »

I had the link saved in my favorites and got the same error. I had to just go to directly to www.arizonapistol.com and then log in.
Tony
shaky hands

Post by shaky hands »

Tony, you are probably able to log in since you registered a while ago. But new user registering, on the other hand, is broken (and seems to be so for quite a while).
C. Perkins

Post by C. Perkins »

shaky hands;

A month ago the "please click Contact" was not there, but it is there now.
Did you click "Contact" and fill out the information ?

It seems to be back to normal now on my end anyway.

Clarence
shaky hands

Post by shaky hands »

Oh, I got it. The "Register" link is not working on purpose. If one tries to go there he is notified that access is denied, and the suggestion to fill out the "Contact us" form is offered instead. This is definitely a possible if unconventional way to organize one's web site. Thanks for clarifying how it works.
cgroppi

Post by cgroppi »

The reason this was done was because of spambots. The webmaster was having to remove dozens of bogus accounts a week when the normal registration link was working. Doing it the way it is now brings that down to zero.
shaky hands

Post by shaky hands »

Why even make the scores closed to general public? I would think that makes the Midwinter tournament look like a private club match rather than a major event it aspires to be.
eskinner

Desert Midwinter Scores -- Answer from the Webmaster

Post by eskinner »

I am the webmaster at ArizonaPistol.com -- you may reach me directly as ed@flat5.net or through the Contact form at that website.

Access to scores is restricted at the specific request of several competitors. While not universal, ArizonaPistol.com is one of several club-based websites to follow this practice.

Indeed, requiring a membership and login for certain activities at websites is not uncommon. Although lesser in degree, targettalk.org requires this to post (but, admittedly, not to read). It is a similar requirement established for some of the same reasons.

Registration at ArizonaPistol.com is, admittedly, a little awkward. Another posting here (at targettalk) mentioned that spam registrations *were* becoming a significant, and manual, burden -- as many as ten (10) per day and rapidly increasing when we turned it off. Since doing so, these attempts by "spambots" are blocked.

The "Contact" link should be used to initiate registration. Quite a few shooters have done that in the past couple of days and, with one exception, now have full access to the website. (We send no spams, advertising or other automatic emails -- and by keeping the spambots out by this manual process, we have a much greater chance of keeping it that way.)

The one exception is a gentleman unfamiliar with websites. I am working directly with him (by telephone) to resolve the problem.

Unfortunately, my skills with PHP and Drupal are limited so the link "Register" remains on the website but gives the "Access Denied" error with the new as of a couple of days ago recommendation to use the "Contact" link to register.

Rather than consume bandwidth here, I invite any interested parties to contact me directly by email: ed@flat5.net (or via the Contact button at ArizonaPistol.com).