Mantra Whilst Shooting?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Brian Lafferty

Mantra Whilst Shooting?

Post by Brian Lafferty »

AKA as talking to oneself. I find myself repeating to myself over and over again while aiming and firing, "Front sight, follow through." since I've been doing that my scores have risen a little. Maybe I should add "squeeze" in the middle of the mantra, but then it gets too long and distracting. Anyone else talk to yourself while shooting??
97nick

Post by 97nick »

I just imagine the pellet going straight through the bull, and I just let my subconscious pull the trigger; I dont try to pull the trigger "at the right time" seems to work :)
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

Try to get your "mantra" to one item. The picture of the pellet going through the ten, or "the perfect sight picture" are two that can be used.

Don't forget the most important part, reward yourself with a vocal "good shot" when you have them, and forget the others. what is rewarded is encouraged.
j danielsson

Post by j danielsson »

Tried that. Found it dangerous. It helped my timing, but I also made very bad shots in attempt to hold the pace. Same points in the end.
seamaster

Post by seamaster »

I "torch" the aim area, keep torching the aim area after the shot.
Peter B

Quiet mind

Post by Peter B »

I like what Pat said but I don't think he is saying it to him self while shooting but before. If you study any sports psychology thinking and doing doesn't work. Visualize what you want to happen using as many of your sences (see the perfict sight pitchure, feel the presure on the trigger,hear the report, feel the recoil / follow through) then shoot.

There is a lot of info out there on this and if you think to yourself when you shot the best you either can't remimber or you were just shooting. Brian Enos has a book and he starts with the mind game at the beginning of the book. In speed shooting there is to think.

I'm no world class shooter but I do remimber when I was shooting good I shot steel for fun the off weekends and everything was more automatic. Only when I got stuck at a level and tried harder to break through did my scores go down. I started thinking. Don't think, just shoot.
Brian Lafferty

Re: Quiet mind

Post by Brian Lafferty »

Peter B wrote:I like what Pat said but I don't think he is saying it to him self while shooting but before. If you study any sports psychology thinking and doing doesn't work. Visualize what you want to happen using as many of your sences (see the perfict sight pitchure, feel the presure on the trigger,hear the report, feel the recoil / follow through) then shoot.

There is a lot of info out there on this and if you think to yourself when you shot the best you either can't remimber or you were just shooting. Brian Enos has a book and he starts with the mind game at the beginning of the book. In speed shooting there is to think.

I'm no world class shooter but I do remimber when I was shooting good I shot steel for fun the off weekends and everything was more automatic. Only when I got stuck at a level and tried harder to break through did my scores go down. I started thinking. Don't think, just shoot.
I think the visualization works when one has patterned into the brain and muscles what is to be done. I'm not at that point yet in pistol. So it seems to help if I mentally keep saying front sight follow through. Time will tell.......
seamaster

Post by seamaster »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYXF-XFanJE

Front sight is not all of it though.
Brian Lafferty

Post by Brian Lafferty »

seamaster wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYXF-XFanJE

Front sight is not all of it though.
Quite right, but at the moment it is my central problem.