Bad sighting

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Orfao

Bad sighting

Post by Orfao »

Hi,

I m practicing air-rifle from 15 years ago and at this moment i m investing a lot to improve my scores but i m having some problems on sighting.

The SCATT shows good lenght and stability (avarege 13,1 mm) but sometimes i make bad shoots with great length (10 mm). The same happens with real fire.
I m quiet sure i m doing bad sighting as i m not aligning perfectly the target/front sight/rear sight in ALL shoots. I think i m not taking my face in exactly the same place and with same tensions in ALL shoots. I tried to change my checkppiece but i still make same mistakes.
In prone (50 m) this problem is worst since a small mistakes gives me bad shoots and i m quiet sure the rifle is completely steady

What can i do and/or buy to improve my sighting ability?

Thanks
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

You perhaps need to much more evaluative of your position and NPA before you start on the shot process. So in prone when you get down behind the gun and settle down in to position do you make sure your NPA is perfect every time and on every shot, i.e. that the bull is centered ? Also I review the alignment of the foresight in the rearsight i.e. is it central ? and I align my cheek and nose with the stock by touch so I check I'm in an identical position each time, every shot. Only after that do I then start on the shot process. I'm not saying I get I right every shot, but most of the time I do.

I'm of the opinion that if you don't actively go through a process to check your orientation and alignment on every shot, then you can't guarantee them. Certainly not until you've really mastered the art and trained the process so that it becomes more automatic.

Rob.
KennyB

Post by KennyB »

Are you saying that occasionally the sight picture looks correct through the sights but the SCATT trace is not central and you're actually aiming in the 9 ring (or worse) although the hold pattern is good?

What size foresight and rear iris aperture are you using?

K.
Orfao

Post by Orfao »

Everything works fine with the SCATT. I m making the same mistake on SCATT as in real fire wich is bad sight picture ( bad alignment of the foresight in the rearsight)

I m using 3,4 on frontsight and the iris in the rearsight is on 0,9
Martin Catley

Post by Martin Catley »

That sounds awful small for Air Rifle let alone 50 Mtr you may not be seeing your sighting errors.
Go up to the high 3's or into 4.0 and up and you may see a lot more of movement.
KennyB

Post by KennyB »

I have to agree with Martin. 3.4 for prone can be OK but I wouldn't go that small for air rifle personally.

A couple of weeks ago, one of my clubmates asked if i could help him with his aiming - which he felt was erratic.
I got him to dry fire at SCATT with his rifle in my test rig - just to see how good his aiming really was. True enough, he was unable to consistently aim in the 10 - with a benched rifle......

We opened his rearsight from 1.1mm to 1.2mm and he was then able to consistently aim into the bull (and better). This was with indoor lighting.
A small change but a dramatic improvement in his case.

Just my 2€.

K.