Recommendations for a good target air pistol.

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
svensta

Recommendations for a good target air pistol.

Post by svensta »

Hi I am mostly a small bore rifle shooter but would like to get back into air pistol shooting after a break of 20 years or thereabouts. Price is not really an issue and I have a choice of Steyr LP10, Feinwerkbau P44, Walther LP 400 Alu/Carbon at a gun shop no too far from me.

Like state of the art Walther/Feinwerkbau/Anschutz rifles there is nothing to choose as far as accuracy goes but the fit/stock/weight/sights/durability/after sales service/accessories etc... are really where the choice is. Are any of these 3 choices basically as good as each other or for a long term use prospect is there one model that is better perhaps? My hands are not large but sort of (large) medium.

Svensta
v76

Post by v76 »

The search function will be your friend here - as far as fit/sights/weight/feel goes, try all the combination of grips (oem/aftermarket) that you can on all the pistols that you have access to. Only you can choose.

As far as reliability and after sales service goes - all these companies have been in the business for a long time and you can't go wrong with any of them.

I guess this doesn't help you much, so I'll start - LP10! :D
mark e

Post by mark e »

I have an LP 10E and love it
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

LP10 mechanical.

I have owned other guns that had seal issues when it was not convenient. While I am mechanical, one of them required special tools to get apart.
Many guns have become hard to find parts for that were made 10-15 years ago while the LP10 keeps going strong. Steyr actually has videos on youtube on how to take it apart, adjust and tune the LP10. If you had a compliment of spare o rings, you might be good for decades. I bought mine after hearing that Pilkinton returned theirs after three days, I have had to wait 2 months on others. I have seen posts from Scott asking people to take out their valve to check it. I doubt you see that with other makes, because it would not be a two minute operation with a hex key. The grip angle is adjustable as a bonus, as is the recoil reduction system.
rmca

Post by rmca »

Steyr LP10 mechanical.

-Adjustable grip. Very handy when setting up the gun so that the sights aligned when you raise the pistol without twisting your wrist.
-Adjustable rear sight (depth and wide) and adjustable sight length.
-Recoil reduction system
-Rock solid performance and reliability.
-Is the pistol used to set the current world record, 594.
-Great technical videos made by steyr if you want to thinker or repair something: http://www.steyr-sportwaffen.at/movies/index.html

Hope this helps
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Get what fits you best, feels right and if you can test it, the one that you like the feel of when firing most. They are all top guns so there's very little to choose between them.

Rob.
conradin

Post by conradin »

Steyr LP10E is the favor of the month. Morini CM162Ei has been a consistent winner. Until now I still do not know why Morini is more successful in women competition.
Walther LP400 has all the high tech, but the one that is winning is actually the cheaper Walther LP300XT.

Steyr LP10 cannot go wrong.
therider

Post by therider »

Conradin, have a look at my recent posts. I have had your problem a few weeks ago.
The only thing which I would change in my decision making process is to give more importance to the grip!
If you have a standard hand, I would buy the pistol which gives the best feeling in your hand. You have more freedom if you have the possibility of getting a professional modification of the grip.

I would not care (although I have personally done so!) of the absorber. I went against all professional opinions, just for the sake of having it. I do not see anybody shooting better with the absorber (myself in the group)!

I would also think at the angle of the grip to the barrel. Morini and Match Guns MGH1 have both a larger angle, i.e. you have your wrist rotated towards the front much more than, for example, with a LP10.... no surprise because both pistol have Cesare Morini behind. I have the feeling that when my wrist is rotated more, as with those 2 pistols, my hand is more stable!

One more thing. Check the space between your thumb and index finger in a relaxed position. In my hand that space is limited, not more than 24mm. Many pistol are very thick and therefore force your thumb in a wrong position, as you cannot have it parallel to the barrel!

If you have this problem the only pistols, which I know, which are slim are the FWB P30 and the Match Guns MGH1. Both have a slim metal part, and both have the level to cock outside the grip.
conradin

Post by conradin »

therider wrote:Conradin, have a look at my recent posts. I have had your problem a few weeks ago.
The only thing which I would change in my decision making process is to give more importance to the grip!

If you have this problem the only pistols, which I know, which are slim are the FWB P30 and the Match Guns MGH1. Both have a slim metal part, and both have the level to cock outside the grip.
It s not me, I was just answering the question. Of course I can explain all these complexities. But I think he just wants a few model names to start off with, especially also he has three models that he can buy anytime right now.
:)