LP400 failure

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
mframe

LP400 failure

Post by mframe »

My Walther LP400 will developed a problem recently - will not hold air. I called the dealer and was informed thar all warranty repairs are now being done by Umarex USA. First of all, I'm not too happy about a $1,650 pistol failing in less than one year, second, I'm concerned that all warranty work was pulled from the original dealer. i will let everyone know how this goes- at the very least I would have expected confirmation that they have received my pistol and this has not happened yet (7 business days).
craigp

Post by craigp »

I recently sent my lp400 in for a strange noise and feeling when i fired it. Ended up being defective recoil absorber. Only had since this past summer. Champ choice ended up sending to umarex. I also didnt not get confirmation and waited almosy 3 weeks by the time i got it.back. Email janet rabb, she is the one who handles the olympic pistols. You can ask for her also by calling main number. When i read this i cringed becausr i swear i just filled mine, and it was down to 150 bar. I am going to keep and eye on it now. Let me know how you make out with this.

Craig
Spaceball

Post by Spaceball »

Is it leaking from the cylinder or from the valve?
One night when i was shoot my Lp400 was acting up with a couple of "soft" shots now and then. It then proceeded to dump the cylinder full of air through the firing valve.
Turns out the the o-ring that keeps the valve in place popped off and held the valve open.
The valve was reassembled and it was all OK. Took less the 20 minutes to disassemble figure out how the valve all fits together and re-assemble.
My Gunsmith has a new valve coming as sometimes they will leak as the valve can be damaged when this happens. Mine was all OK.

Attached picture is how the o-ring was lodged between the valve stem and seat when removed.
Attachments
LP400 Valve.jpg
Ulrich Eichstädt

Post by Ulrich Eichstädt »

Most of the WALTHER staff and also Janet Raab (there your pistols will surely have been sent, it's the same address like Umarex USA in Fort Smith) is attending the SHOT SHOW in Las Vegas at the moment and already since last week - so please give them a little time, they won't be back until mid next week.

Although many people aren't aware of that, the service/repair of all Walther guns in the USA is handled since jan 2013 by WALTHER USA, which was founded then officially - therefore any former info about repair etc at S & W or anybody else is outdated. We see it as a great improvement in customer service (and more), that Walther now has its official dependance in the USA, but it always takes some time to get things sorted...

I'm not exactly aware how they handle any repair orders, so I don't know if they normally send any confirmation that the package arrived. As fas as I know, they usually send some transport papers in advance, see
www.waltherarms.com/customer-support/
DLS

Re: LP400 failure

Post by DLS »

mframe wrote: ... at the very least I would have expected confirmation that they have received my pistol and this has not happened yet (7 business days).
Did you send the package with delivery confirmation? It's typically the senders responsibility to arrange and pay for this (if wanted) not the recipient.

I feel for you in that a new toy needs work, but that is what a warrantee if for. All things mechanical have tolerances and occasional material defects, no matter how stringent the quality control. If you were to manufacture a product to ensure that you never had a problem the cost would be an order of magnitude higher and nobody would purchase.

As far as repair from the dealer or another location I would not worry. Dealers focus on selling things and are not necessarily (many are but not all) the best place to receive repairs. I would want my item to go wherever the factory trained smiths are located, and that seems to be what Walther is now doing.

I hope the turn time is rapid for you, I know the feeling of having a favorite toy out of commission!
mframe

LP400 Failure - update

Post by mframe »

I did receive a receipt confirmation from Umarex (email) yesterday indicating that they would be contacting me with status of repair or replacement. Very strange that I could not find any information regarding the warranty in the materials delivered with the gun. Asked Umarex and they had to get back to me- which they did promptly (1 year)
Ulrich Eichstädt

Re: LP400 Failure - update

Post by Ulrich Eichstädt »

mframe wrote:I did receive a receipt confirmation from Umarex (email) yesterday
Pure coincidence... ;)

(it wasn't me, but I assume, that my colleagues follow the new threads in the major forums as we do here)
mframe

Completely agree

Post by mframe »

Posted potential negative - just wanted everyone to know vendor followed up
craigp

Post by craigp »

I wasn't going crazy. My lp400 is leaking also. I know not every product is perfect, buy come on, a 1600 gun and this will be my second return to walther in less than a year. Not amused. Especially since i shoot matches year round.
bpscCheney

Post by bpscCheney »

I've never had a problem with my $600 CO2 Alfa Proj. What would cause the seals to always go bad? I've had some seals freeze if I shoot too much too fast but that's CO2 not HPA
David M

Post by David M »

There is a new guide bushing assy that fixes the moving O ring problem on the valve.
The new valve is item #115 on the drawing, p/n 2798379.
Either fit the new guide bushing or carry out a repair using the old assy.
The O ring is easy to reseat and can be retained with a very, very small amount of superglue applied to the back face with a needle.
j-team

Post by j-team »

bpscCheney wrote:I've never had a problem with my $600 CO2 Alfa Proj. What would cause the seals to always go bad? I've had some seals freeze if I shoot too much too fast but that's CO2 not HPA
No offence, but I'd rather have a leaking LP400 than an CO2 Alfa Proj! Because a leak can be fixed.
bpscCheney

Post by bpscCheney »

j-team wrote: No offence, but I'd rather have a leaking LP400 than an CO2 Alfa Proj! Because a leak can be fixed.
None taken, the Alfa can easily outshoot me so I see no reason to spend a small fortune on an LP400 or the LP10, etc. especially since pistol is my cross discipline (I predominantly am a rifle shooter dabbling in pistol shooting for fun). I'm just intrigued by the number of people having problems with the LP400 when I've had none with an 'inferior' pistol...
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

it takes a bit of time for a design to mature and get rid of all its early problems and become a stable reliable pistol (unless of course there is a big design flaw that needs a major rework). so far lp400 seems to have minor bugs that walther addresses in revisions but i expected a lot less bugs from a company with the knowledge of walther. hopefully lp400 will become a stable reliable pistol although in my opinion it looks a lot like steyr lp10.
alfa proj is with us many years and is a good solid airgun with not many extras.
Zeddsded

Post by Zeddsded »

I have suffered the exact same problem too. My LP400 Carbon blew a seal after about 5,000 shots (about 8 months). I'm now about 3,000 shots on from having the seal replaced and I'm worrying that another blow out is coming...

The cylinder has become increasingly difficult to re-attach after filling, plus I've noticed that the rear of a shot hole has some ragged edges and not the crisp 'Hole punch' cut that it should leave.

Just today I've sent it back to the gunsmith, before it deteriorates too far, but I've also ordered myself a Steyr LP10E... I may keep the Walther for back up, or I may sell it.

I would class myself as a middle of the road shooter, but I find that confidence in my pistol is a significant factor in my performance, and sadly I am finding myself listening for changes in firing sounds as opposed to focusing on the shot itself.
Steyr LP10 E