Want to lighten 1903 Anschutz by 2.5 lbs.

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Texdance

Want to lighten 1903 Anschutz by 2.5 lbs.

Post by Texdance »

Our 4H Rifle club owns three Anschutz 1903 rifles, the Standard size that weighs right at 10 pounds. I would like to modify one or two of these to reduce its weight to 7.5 pounds, similar to the three 1903 Juniors and two Izhmash CM-2s we also own. Any suggestions? Any gunsmiths recommended? We are in north east Texas 100 miles from Dallas.

If the modification cost is too high, I could buy a couple more rifles if I can find good ones at that weight. I'm looking at the Izhmash CM-2 Junior rifles and used 1903 Junior rifles. Maybe at some point we will attract a student who can handle a full-size 1903.
caveman

Post by caveman »

Texdance

Sorry but I can’t help you with your question. I will offer you some unsolicited advice in hope that it doesn’t offend you.

IMO, the 1903 is one of the best intermediate target rifles on the planet especially here in the US where parts are readily available. They are tough, reliable, accurate, and not too complicated for beginning and intermediate shooters. Now from a bit of personal experience a few years ago my daughter’s coach (she was 12 or 13, 70 lbs.) moved her from a junior model to a 1907. At the time I thought that it was to much rifle for her. In hind sight I believe that taught her to build a solid “skeleton” supported position that has served her well to this day. She is now 17 (just turned) and not much over 100 lbs. and is shooting a 1913/2213 with some weight added to it and runs in the top third of the pack shooting in “the deep end of the pool”.

I guess what I’m trying to say is you may want to have some of your youngsters have a go with those rifles before you do anything drastic, they might just surprise you!
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

I'm not sure there is anyone now importing CM-2 Cadets.
rayjay

Post by rayjay »

There is a gunsmith in TX that does very good work on Annie rebbls. Evelio is his first name..... Senior moment.

I see two options. Knock the bbls out of the receivers and then cut off the chamber end and rechamber and then Loctite the bbls back into the rec.

You could also have the OD cut down a bit. Leave the last 3 or 4 inches at the muzzle the original OD.

You would not need to cut all the weight off the bbl as once you lighten the bbl you will need to lighten the buttstock to balance the rifle.
Last edited by rayjay on Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

rayjay wrote:There is a gunsmith in TX that does very good work on Annie rebbls. Evelio is his first name..... Senior moment.
Evelio McDonald ... a renowned silhouette rifle gunsmith.
http://www.steelchickens.com/index.php? ... 6:websites
Levergun59

Post by Levergun59 »

Buy a Biathlon Basic. Chop the butt 2-3". I added a bloop tube and front sight. The barrel at the front is .750. Weaver rail rear sight. Rail comes with gun, Duct tape foam on the front of the stock for a cheek rest. My BB shot 1/4" at 50 yds and a little more with Eley Club. This is a straight pull action with a crisp two stage trigger that breaks at about 2 1/2 lbs. Mine weighs in at 8 lbs
Chris