New Pardini

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

kkayser

New Pardini

Post by kkayser »

I bought a new Pardini SPBE. As delivered, the take-down screw was loose. I did not notice this until I went to clean it the first time. The screw was VERY loose. Subsequently I have tested the gun at 50yds. in a Ransom rest. With Eley Tenex Pistol, I got disappointing results: (Average of 6, 5 shot groups: 1.42" no group under 1") Well, that's not too bad in itself. However, I also shot 4 groups with SK Magazine, an inexpensive round which comes in a 500 round can. I got much better results, about what I expected with expensive ammo: 4 groups of 5 each average of .726 with all groups under 1".

Does anyone know what is going on here?
Murph

Post by Murph »

I have experimented with several different brands and types of ammo in my SPBE, only free hand and off a rest (no ranson yet). So far, SK Standard Plus (about 1/3 the price if Eley Tenex Pistol) seems to be the most reliable and accurate. I just ordered some Tenex Pistol and will repost after I test it up against the SK plus. I do need a ranson rest. Please post where to buy one if you know. Thanks.
GOVTMODEL

Re: New Pardini

Post by GOVTMODEL »

kkayser wrote:Does anyone know what is going on here?
Yes; every barrel is unique, and every batch of ammunition is unique. That's why Eley and Lapua have Customer Test Ranges, so you can find a batch of ammunition that shoots well in your barrel.

I once traveled to the Customer Range when Eley was in Birmingham and Bert Brookes was the Range Officer. I took three (3) Hammerli pistols and tested seventeen (17) batches of TENEX. For all three pistols, the worst performing batches were ~1.75 inches at 50 meters, the best batches shot groups under an inch at 50 meters, and there was zero correlation comparing how a batch of ammunition performed in different pistols.

So the answer to your question is that you found a specific batch of ammunition from one maker that shoots better than a specific batch of ammunition from a different maker in your particular pistol. As long as you don't project that result to other batches of ammunition ( from any maker ) you'll be fine.
cgroppi

Post by cgroppi »

With my SPBE, Wolf Match Target shoots 0.9", while the Tenex I have shoots 1.0".
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

I expect Tenex is intended to function in 500mm rifle barrels, not 100mm pistol barrels.
fc60

TENEX

Post by fc60 »

Greetings,

Every lot of TENEX I have tested shot ten X groups at 50 yards from a quality pistol barrel.

Naturally, some lots shot smaller ten X groups than others.

Still, when I buy a box of TENEX, I feel confident it will shoot a ten X group at 50 yards.

I have tested some lots of Eley Sport, the Mexican ammo, and one particular lot consistently shot 0.7" groups. The next case of ammo did not.

So, if you get a case of ammo that shoots well use it sparingly.

Cheers,

Dave
Jerry Keefer

Post by Jerry Keefer »

The little .22 has been a fascinating, enjoyable study for me, over the years.
Tested many variations, combinations, barrels, and ammunition. Purchased, begged and borrowed every brand of ammo I could find. Measured, dissected and tested each against the other. Eley is without peer. There is so much variation between brands, that I have reamers ground for specific manufacturers, as some customers refuse or cannot afford to use Eley.. A chamber reamed specifically for Eley 10x will not function well with CCI Standard. When a chamber is compromised to function/shoot several brands, it will never group as tightly, as if it is set up only for Eley. Chamber design for the .22 is very important. The saving grace for the .22 is... even when it not shooting at its best, it's still pretty good by general standards. Even a poor set up will often hold ten ring.
In my opinion, a serious BE 22 should be well under an inch at 50yds...
With some of the excellent barrels available, .6/.7 is not difficult to achieve.
Jerry
kkayser

Post by kkayser »

JamesH wrote:I expect Tenex is intended to function in 500mm rifle barrels, not 100mm pistol barrels.
The ammo was actually "Tenex Pistol"
kkayser

Re: TENEX

Post by kkayser »

fc60 wrote:Greetings,

Every lot of TENEX I have tested shot ten X groups at 50 yards from a quality pistol barrel.

Naturally, some lots shot smaller ten X groups than others.

Still, when I buy a box of TENEX, I feel confident it will shoot a ten X group at 50 yards.

Dave
What is a "ten x group"?
fc60

Illustration of a Ten-X group.

Post by fc60 »

Fired at 50 yards from a machine fixture.

Cheers,

Dave
Attachments
11280003.jpeg
kkayser

Re: Illustration of a Ten-X group.

Post by kkayser »

fc60 wrote:Fired at 50 yards from a machine fixture.

Cheers,

Dave
I assumed it was 5 shots in the X ring. But, what is the size of the ring?
GOVTMODEL

X Ring diameter...

Post by GOVTMODEL »

...IIRC, is ~1.6 inches.
kkayser

Re: X Ring diameter...

Post by kkayser »

GOVTMODEL wrote:...IIRC, is ~1.6 inches.
Any shot touching the ring is considered "in". So if the ring is 1.6" and bullet diameter .22 inches, two hits 1.82 (1.6 + .11 + .11) inches center to center would be considered in the X ring. Therefore, an X ring group is equivalent to a 1.8 inch (approx 1 7/8") group.
trulyapostolic

Re: Illustration of a Ten-X group.

Post by trulyapostolic »

kkayser wrote:
fc60 wrote:Fired at 50 yards from a machine fixture.

Cheers,

Dave
I assumed it was 5 shots in the X ring. But, what is the size of the ring?
Looks like 10 shots.