Looking for new training ideas/ advise

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Sisterzee

Looking for new training ideas/ advise

Post by Sisterzee »

Here is where I am at:

I have been shooting...
3P Smallbore: 2-1/2 years
Air Rifle: Standing 1 year; 3P for 3 months.
I am a Female Junior Precision shooter in the United States.
*For simplicity I am using whole number scores, leaving decimals out of a majority of this. ( I use paper targets w/ returns)

Rifle:
Feinwerkbau P70 Junior .177 (4.5mm)
Pellets:
RWS R10 match pellets

I am interested finding new exercises that focus on a single part of a shot plan or action that I could try. [/u]I am looking for any suggestions for a push that could raise me to my goal of shooting in the 590's (60 shots) & 390's (40 shots) consistently by the end of the season.

My club supports and provides for me and I have an amazing coach, who has taken many of previous and current team member to the Olympic Training Center for many years; and plans to for the years to come. We have many activities however, it is also great to try something new to help train; which is often hard to come up with.

I have improved drastically in the last year and I am currently shooting in the upper 560's to low 570's per 60 Shot match. I have become very comfortable shooting up to (2) 60 shot matches during one day.I also notice when I shoot a 40 shot match, my scores unfortunately average roughly 360, which tends to varying between 10-15 points. I do not like these scores because I know I am capable of shooting mid 380's to the 390's. I know the shorter match length messes with me in the sense that when I finish a 40 shot match I feel like I am not complete. I see this as a result of being so accustomed to shooting 60 shot matches

I do keep a shooter's log that I update very time I practice or compete. My shot plan is good but, I would love to see examples of other's shot plans so that can have a better understanding of how complete mine is now compared to what it should be. Please write if you have any sort of activity that could help me focus on a specific motion/ action or help with mental preparation. Looking to discover new ideas that my coach and I have not already discussed. I do have plans to continue shooting for a very long time, definitely into college or the military; I am not sure which path to take. Any advise about taking either path would be incredibly helpful and greatly appreciated! Along with training activities, all ideas are welcomed.

I simply cannot see myself living happily as I age with out playing with rifles. :)
robf

Post by robf »

My advice would be to orientate yourself around the coach you have rather than seeking advice elsewhere on specific elements of training, which may completely unsuitable to you.

Training programs are specific to each shooter, so they need to be tailored to match them and the resources available. Having the desire to hit an average by a certain time is good motivation, but there isn't a set of exercises that gets you from 560 to 590 in x months.

I'd be having a chat to your coach about your goals, and from that agreeing realistic goals, and how to achieve them based upon where you are now.

I'd ask yourself the question as to why you feel you need to do something different. And then talk to your coach about that.
justadude

Post by justadude »

So Sister,

I see you put up the pretty much identical post a few days back. The advice given was pretty reasonable but I guess you did not like it as you have posted again.

First a few questions, I am assuming all the scores you refer to are air rifle.

When you talk about 60 shot match, are you referring to 3P course or 60 shot standing course. (40 shot standing is typical for juniors and ladies but plenty will shoot the 60 shot open course with no problem)

Next, you should be able to shoot 2 60 shots 3P matches in a day w/o problems. Juniors and ladies used to do that all the time in smallbore, just get out there and shoot a 120 shot full course.

As the 360 score sounds like 40 shots standing I will point out there is no magic elixir that will get you to 390 in one season. You will find that as you progress scores will jump and plateau, jump and plateau. You might go from 360 avg to 368 in about 2 weeks time and hang there for a few months then suddenly 374 and hang then suddenly 379 etc...

Next, if your goal it to move to 390, what are your intermediate goals? You are better off setting your goal to break 370 in competition for 3 matches than simply say I want to shoot a 390. After you hit 370 a few times move the goal up. Always have your next goal waiting when you achieve the one you are working on.

Also consider that to go from 360 to 380 you are dropping half the points you were. From 380 to 390 again dropping half the points you were. Gains get harder as you get better.

Does your amazing coach have a SCATT system? Great stuff if you know how to use and analyze the traces. Tells you if your problem is in the way you address the rifle, your hold, trigger release, follow through. Makes it much easier to concentrate on the areas that need work.

Now, go back to your other post where I think it was Rob Stubbs ('scuse me if I got that wrong) noted you are likely better shooting 10 or 20 shot drills to work on specific skills or sub skills. That was pretty good advice, just going out and shooting practice match after practice match is the hard way to do it.

my 2 cents

'Dude
Dave IRL

Post by Dave IRL »

Definitely agree with justadude there. Sure, you can just shoot for score, and you'll get better as some stuff just improves over time, but it's a crap way to improve. Break down the process and figure out what needs most work, then design exercises which allow you to train those specific weaknesses. Build in a way to analyse the training exercise too. This is an area coaches are especially useful.
TerryKuz

Post by TerryKuz »

Since you have time, a coach, and enthusiasm your scores are destined to get better. I think it is important to enjoy each individual shot and let the scoring take care of itself. Things that kill scores are stress, impatience, and dwelling on an arbitrary numerical goal. Just enjoy each shot.
HWN1011

Post by HWN1011 »

This I spam guys. Don't waste your time.
redschietti

Post by redschietti »

PilkGuns has a bunch of good articles on their site.

The pistol shooters seem to have better drills than the rifle...hang around their part of the sight.

Before every training session force yourself to answer this question...What am I working on today? Its ok if it morphs into something else, but be working on something, dont just shoot.

I'll be a naysayer a bit on coaches, Listen to everything everyone tells you, but dont believe everything anybody tells you.

I saw a shirt the other day, wore by a highly successful school, "Sorry, we worked harder than you!" If you beat them in any sport you had a very good day.

Good Luck!