Travel Through CT with Air Pisrol and Air Rifles

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Brian Lafferty

Travel Through CT with Air Pisrol and Air Rifles

Post by Brian Lafferty »

I can't get a definitive answer so I'll raise the issue here. CT considers bb guns and pellet guns powered by spring or air to be "dangerous weapons." I want to travel from Andover, MA to NY via CT to the Bridgeport--Port Jefferson Ferry to my brother's house in Suffolk County NY. I would be transporting a Kite, a P-11 and a Hammerli AR20 in locked cases in the trunk of my car. I this legal to do traveling through CT?

Thanks in advance for any solid info on this.

Brian Lafferty
mtncwru

Post by mtncwru »

http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/articles ... ation.aspx

"CONNECTICUT—A permit is required to transport a handgun in a vehicle. A nonresident may transport a handgun in or through the state for the purpose of changing residences or taking part in a firearms competition, “formal” training or a collectors’ exhibition, provided the person is a resident of the U.S. and is “permitted to possess and carry a pistol or revolver in the state or subdivision of the United States in which such person resides.” In all cases, the handgun must be unloaded and not readily or directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle. If the vehicle has no compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm must be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. A special permit is required to possess a so-called “assault weapon,” a term that is defined to include any selective-fire firearm capable of fully automatic, semi-automatic or burst fire at the option of the user, or any one of more than five dozen specified semi-automatics. Connecticut law expressly incorporates FOPA’s protections with respect to those who are transporting firearms through the state. Contact the Connecticut State Police Special Firearms Licensing Unit for further information at (860) 685-8290."

Assuming you're not stopping overnight in CT, transporting them unloaded, in a locked case, stored in your trunk is perfectly fine. The FOPA provides for pass-through provisions for exactly these circumstances. The bigger concern is whether you will have issues in NY, but I can't speak to that.
Rover

Post by Rover »

You might have more fun if you take the ferry from New London to Orient Point on the Island.

When the situation was reversed, I worried more about MA, but said the hell with it and did it anyway.

http://bitoffun.com/stupid_laws_massachusetts.htm
GOVTMODEL

Connecticut

Post by GOVTMODEL »

I think it may be easier to just get a Connecticut Pistol Permit and not have to worry about it.
jmdavis

Post by jmdavis »

My non-politically correct solution is to avoid NJ, CT, MA, NY, IL, and now MD. If I absolutely have to travel through one of them, I drive straight through and make no stops for anything. It's pretty easy to avoid stops in the diesel jetta.

Good Luck.
honeybadger

Post by honeybadger »

jmdavis wrote:f I absolutely have to travel through one of them, I drive straight through and make no stops for anything. It's pretty easy to avoid stops in the diesel jetta.

Good Luck.
not so easy if it is a mandatory "border control" check, which you may be subject to any time you pass into or through what the ACLU refers to as a "constitution free zone"
https://www.aclu.org/know-your-rights-c ... e-zone-map
basically anything within 100 miles of any US border, which includes coastlines.

Good luck, indeed

Re: Travel Through CT with Air Pisrol and Air Rifles

Post by Guest »

Brian Lafferty wrote:I can't get a definitive answer so I'll raise the issue here. CT considers bb guns and pellet guns powered by spring or air to be "dangerous weapons." I want to travel from Andover, MA to NY via CT to the Bridgeport--Port Jefferson Ferry to my brother's house in Suffolk County NY. I would be transporting a Kite, a P-11 and a Hammerli AR20 in locked cases in the trunk of my car. I this legal to do traveling through CT?

Thanks in advance for any solid info on this.

Brian Lafferty
I live in CT and I have heard direct from CT state police.....what you are proposing is no problem. Locked, secured, and not under immediate control is no problem and no special permits or anything is required. You will be fine.