Which 10 meter pcp rifle for silhouette shooting?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

silhouette shooter

Which 10 meter pcp rifle for silhouette shooting?

Post by silhouette shooter »

Hello everyone: I just joined the site and looking for some good advice.
I shoot smallbore and air rifle silhouette. Silhouette is shot offhand standing with no slings, no support, no shootng clothes. It is just you wearing street clothes, the rifle and the scope. Air rifle silhouette targets consist of a chicken at 20, a pig at 30, a turkey at 36 and a ram at 45 yards.

The body of the chicken is about the size of a nickle. The body of the pig is approx. 1 inch tall by 1.75 inches wide. The body of the turkey is approx. 1.25 inches in size. The body of the ram is approx. 1.30 inches tall and 2.5 inches wide. These sizes do not include the head or tail of the animals.

I am wanting to get a used 10 meter pcp air rifle for the target class. I have narrowed the choices down to an Anschutz 8001, 8002, 8002 S2 or maybe a 2002. I might even consider a FWB P70. I do not want a SSP air rifle. I know all of the rifles are easily capable of hitting the targets and knocking them down.

I also have to consider an air source for filling the air cylinder. My cash is limited and that is why I am going the used route. Thanks Ken
TerryKuz

Post by TerryKuz »

I think you can get a used rifle for 1500 or so, a 6x20 scope used for 550 and a scba tank for 500. Maybe even a bit cheaper, but I don't think it will be under 2 grand. Of the rifle you mentioned the 8002S2 would be my choice. for strictly silhouettes I would get a Daystate Regal, or Huntsman in 22 to emulate a Anschutz 1712. I could also recommend the Daystate MK4 in 22, that is what I use. Wind really plays with the slow match guns in 177, so you may want a 22.
silhouette shooter

Terry: I already have the scope for the rifle. I have an Air Arms TX 200 spring gun for sporter class that can be used in the open class or I can use the target rifle in the open class also. The higher power pcp will be purchased at a later date.
You will find very few people using a .22 caliber pellet for silhouette. There are a few but not very many at all.

I have had a 8002 S2 in the Laminated CMP stock before. That is why the 8002 S2 is my 1st choice. Thanks Ken
silhouette shooter

I just found a brand new unfired still in the factory Anschutz box a 8001 club rifle at a discounded price. I think I will be very happy with it.