Flying to NJ with an air rifle

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

kaban56

Flying to NJ with an air rifle

Post by kaban56 »

What about flying into NJ with one of our "7.5 joules" air rifles? I understand that under the NJ laws, any air gun is considered a firearm. But I also understand that there is a distinction between long arms and handguns.

So, what will happen if I land in Newark airport with a case that contains an Olympic grade air rifle? (provided that I was able to board the plane, checked the case, no air, etc....legal at the place of departure)
And at the same time, what will happen if I try to board a flight out of Newark airport with one of these? I am not a resident on NJ and don't have any gun permit of any kind (don't need them where I live...)
bdutton

Re: Flying to NJ with an air rifle

Post by bdutton »

kaban56 wrote:What about flying into NJ with one of our "7.5 joules" air rifles? I understand that under the NJ laws, any air gun is considered a firearm. But I also understand that there is a distinction between long arms and handguns.

So, what will happen if I land in Newark airport with a case that contains an Olympic grade air rifle? (provided that I was able to board the plane, checked the case, no air, etc....legal at the place of departure)
And at the same time, what will happen if I try to board a flight out of Newark airport with one of these? I am not a resident on NJ and don't have any gun permit of any kind (don't need them where I live...)
At check in, you need to explain to the check in agent that you need to have your air rifle checked in by TSA. The case the gun is in needs to be locked and the locks MUST NOT BE TSA approved locks (ironic).

If you are travelling to or from a rifle match, have a copy of the match program handy to show any local police you run into.

I would also request insurance.
kaban56

thank you

Post by kaban56 »

Thank bdutton you for your reply,
You just described the procedure that usually takes place and I have done that before. But as I understand, NJ is a very special case. I don't think you are even allowed an air rifle in Newark, so how am I suppose to exit the airport without break a number of local laws? This is my major concern. It is not with the airline/TSA, but with the local NJ police.
bdutton

Re: thank you

Post by bdutton »

kaban56 wrote:Thank bdutton you for your reply,
You just described the procedure that usually takes place and I have done that before. But as I understand, NJ is a very special case. I don't think you are even allowed an air rifle in Newark, so how am I suppose to exit the airport without break a number of local laws? This is my major concern. It is not with the airline/TSA, but with the local NJ police.
That's the purpose of the match program to show that as an out of state resident, you are going to to a match. Federal laws apply in this case.

edit to add:

http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/articles ... ation.aspx
kaban56

Re: thank you

Post by kaban56 »

bdutton wrote:
kaban56 wrote:Thank bdutton you for your reply,
That's the purpose of the match program to show that as an out of state resident, you are going to to a match. Federal laws apply in this case.

edit to add:

http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/articles ... ation.aspx
Thank you for the link: right in there it says the following:
"Special Advisory for New York and New Jersey Airports: Despite federal law that protects travelers, authorities at JFK, La Guardia, Newark and Albany airports have been known to enforce state and local firearms laws against airline travelers who are merely passing through the jurisdiction. In some cases, even persons traveling in full compliance with federal law have been arrested or threatened with arrest. As noted above in the section entitled “Federal Law on the Transportation of Firearms,” FOPA’s protections have been substantially narrowed by court decisions, and persons traveling with firearms may want to avoid New York and New Jersey or make arrangements to ship their firearms to their destination, rather than bringing them through these jurisdictions. "

And the air rifle is considered to be a firearm in NJ....
My plan is to visit relatives there in a few months and I'll be staying for two weeks or so. I just want to bring the air-rifle to dry-fire to keep my form. I will have an important match coming up shortly after that trip. So I am not planning on participating in any matches in NJ. The rifle will travel from the airport to the place I'll be staying (private home) and back.

Will mailing the air rifle to the place I'll be staying in and back be a better option?
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

I know it's a long ride, but I advise you drive.
It's not worth a stroke going through Newark airport.
1813benny

Post by 1813benny »

Fly into Philadelphia and drive. No hassle but just takes a little more time.
Ken
kaban56

another option....

Post by kaban56 »

Here is a thought: what if a person who picks me up in Newark airport is a NJ resident who holds NJ firearm license, and will handle the case with the rifle all the way to the car and the final destination place in NJ? I won't even touch the case, i.e. won't take possession of it until I arrive at my final destination? And the same on the way back: that person will handle the gun at check-in at the airport?
Again, it is a air rifle, not a pistol....for pistol I guess you need a special permit.
honeybadger

Re: another option....

Post by honeybadger »

kaban56 wrote:: that person will handle the gun at check-in at the airport? .
Are these your bag(s)?
Did you pack them yourself?
Have they been out of your sight for any time?
Do they contain any prohibited or dangerous articles?
Did anyone give you anything to take on the flight?

You might run into difficulties claiming it is your bag if your friend is holding it; he may need to transfer possession to you before you are allowed to check it in, which would probably occur shortly after you declared that you had a dangerous article.

May I suggest that you also declare the plumcake, carefully wrapped in tin foil, which the nice man asked you to bring to his aged grandmother?

I think this strategy could easily result in a rather memorable experience for you.