Competition Entry Fee's

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
David M

Competition Entry Fee's

Post by David M »

What do you pay for local, state, national or international competition entry fees per match ?
j-team

Post by j-team »

My pet subject!

Here in New Zealand we have been paying NZD15 per event for a while now, but some clubs have started charging $20. I have asked them to justify it, and they can't. I've organised plenty of competitions so I know how much it costs. And here at the moment there is no justification for raising the entry fees.

They (those that push for higher entry fees) will argue that the club needs to make money (profit) from hosting a competition, but I would argue that the club should see hosting a competition as a means of promoting the particular shooting discipline.

I have the same opinion of those that seem to have to add a "registration fee". Well that drives away those that only want to shoot one match as they effectively pay more to do that, and guess what, those are often the newer people in the sport, exactly the ones who should be encouraged.

We do pay a bit more for our Nationals, but that's OK as there are more expenses involved in organising those.

We have now reached a point in NZ that IPSC is completely overtaking ISSF shooting, so it is now more important that ever to encourage the highest possible participation levels in ISSF for it to remain relevant.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

$60 entry each for local and provincial matches over the past couple of years that I've been competing. Haven't tried a national match yet so can't say for sure, but I think it's similar.
rmca

Post by rmca »

For club events, regional and national championships.

Air rifle or pistol 10€
Rim or center fire 15€

International events are supported by the Portuguese Shooting Federation, but only to members of the national teams.
j-team

Post by j-team »

Gerard wrote:$60 entry each for local and provincial matches over the past couple of years that I've been competing. Haven't tried a national match yet so can't say for sure, but I think it's similar.
Is that for one 60 shot match?

If so, I hope lunch and at least a couple of beers are included!
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

In the case of the June provincials, yes indeed, disappointingly it's for a single 60 shot match. Unless there are a lot of entrants. Then there might be a final. I didn't attend this year for that reason. Seemed a bit silly to travel to a 60 shot match and miss 2 days of work in the bargain. Still, I did have fun at the Kamloops match last year.

The spring and fall matches held at my club in Richmond BC, also called provincial championships, are 3 x 60 shots over 2 days with the aggregate 120-shot score determining the rankings. A very good value for both time and money spent there especially considering how well the matches are run.
madmull

Post by madmull »

Netherlands

local (AK) 8 Euro = 10.68 USD
state (DK) 8 Euro = 10.68 USD
national (NK) 8 Euro = 10.68 USD
these are the prices for official matches, it doesn't matter what disciplin FP, AP, OSP etc

local (club) matches differ from 5 till 10 Euro 6.68 till 13.36 USD

international: i paid an average of 10 Euro = 13.36 USD
USMC0802

Post by USMC0802 »

sounds cheap. I believe I paid approx $150 US per event for US Nationals last year. Each event cost a little different at US Nationals but none were less than $115. Last week was $35 for a USA shooting sanctioned event
GOVTMODEL

Re: Competition Entry Fee's

Post by GOVTMODEL »

David M wrote:What do you pay for local, state, national or international competition entry fees per match ?
At my club in Rhode Island, USA- $10US for a local match, $20US for the Sectional Championship, and $30US for two events.
USMC0802

Post by USMC0802 »

If you really want to talk about crazy entry fees, go to an IPC World Cup match that has all the air and sb events. Entry fee is approx $500 whether you are shooting 1 event of 5. I think if it is an air only IPC event the entry is around $300.
Thomas Monto

IPC

Post by Thomas Monto »

IPC W/C matches are very expensive to run in the US.
We have to have officials from Europe, Asia, whatever, as the US does not have enough Officials to meet IPC Stds. We have to pay their expenses, It can cost $2,000 - $3,000 or more to get them here. This along with US (USAS) people who actually run the match. That is why there are not more IPC matches in the US.

When I run a local match I charge from $10 to $20 / match. Out of that I need to pay for awards, range fees, sactioning fees, targets, etc. Do I try to make a few bucks? I sure do with the money going toward junior shooting activities, firearms, ammo, targets, equipment, entry fees, etc. I think the fees are a bargain. It costs more in gasoline in some instances to get to the match thasn what the entry fee costs.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

There can be a big difference between running a ‘local’ competition (targets, patches and some photocopying, plus volunteer personnel) and a World Cup.

At an ISSF (and/or IPC) World Cup the background expenses can get frightening.
EST technician/s – transport plus expenses
Drug testing – big bucks
Transport for competitors and Team Officials – it’s fun(?) finding enough wheelchair accessible busses for IPC competitions
International Jury
ISSF TV
Uniforms – even one polo shirt and a hat or cap per volunteer adds up
Registration fees
Etc.
j-team

Post by j-team »

Spencer wrote:Drug testing – big bucks
Yup... It is cripplingly expensive for small sports to fund this. Mainly because of all the people being paid 6 figure salaries to administer it!

I would love to now the actual lab cost of analysing a cup of pee versus the admin cost.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

j-team wrote:I would love to now the actual lab cost of analysing a cup of pee versus the admin cost.
It's not just the analysis itself, it's the facilities, staff costs, instrumentation and keeping it certified, then you have all the associated infrastructure around secure and controlled storage of all those samples. My company essentially did a large chunk of that for the olympics and it's not cheap.

Back to the topic though, I charge 10 pounds for my county championships, but costs vary up to about 18-20 pounds for other national competitions. Last time I looked at ISSF world cups, entry fees were about 60 euros per event.

Rob.