Chrono weirdness with .38 wadcutters

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

BenEnglishTX

Chrono weirdness with .38 wadcutters

Post by BenEnglishTX »

I was doing other work at the range yesterday and happened to have a .38, a couple of boxes of factory wadcutters, and a chronograph with me. The revolver was a 3-inch Smith and Wesson so I expected velocities to be a bit slower than the 720 fps that seems to be the nominal "standard" speed for this round with 148-grain HBWCs. Despite that, I fired five rounds of each over the chrono just to see what I could see.

Recent-production Fiocchi, velocities in feet per second -
average
  • 533 feet per second
standard deviation
~40-year old Western yellow-box, velocities in feet per second
average
  • 709 feet per second
standard deviation
I was surprised that the Fiocchi was so very slow at just over 500fps. I'm tempted to pull at least a dozen different brands of wadcutters from my stock and chronograph them all, just out of curiosity.

Two questions -
  • - Would anybody be interested in seeing a table of results if I were to chrono 10 or 20 different factory 148-grain HBWC match loads? and
    - Are the average speeds of todays factory loads lower than they were "back in the day" across the board or is the Fiocchi stuff, in particular, known to be so slow?
David M

Post by David M »

Could be the different powder burn rates and the 3" barrel. To get good velocities in 3" you need a very fast powder.
Try again with a 6" and see.
Bill Treanor

Post by Bill Treanor »

My guess is that this disparity in muzzle velocities has to do with the fact that the Europeans typically shoot at 25 meters (where a lower velocity would probably be O.K.), whereas the US ammo has to shoot well at 50 yards.
Bill Treanor

Post by Bill Treanor »

My guess is that this disparity in muzzle velocities has to do with the fact that the Europeans typically shoot at 25 meters (where a lower velocity would probably be O.K.), whereas the US ammo has to shoot well at 50 yards.
BenEnglishTX

Post by BenEnglishTX »

Interesting theories. I'm going back to the range with a variety of loads and a S&W M14 with a longer barrel. When that's done, I'll post again.
Bob-Riegl

Post by Bob-Riegl »

I agree with Ben---I have found Fiocchi to be rather slow in comparison with American made ammo in .32 caliber as well.
jbshooter

Post by jbshooter »

What is the accuracy of the Fiocchi like at those speeds?
BenEnglishTX

Post by BenEnglishTX »

jbshooter wrote:What is the accuracy of the Fiocchi like at those speeds?
I've only shot them standing, at 25 yards. Under those conditions, all ammunition is so much more accurate than me that I can't tell the difference.

When I shoot the stuff over a chrono next time, I'll also fire 50-yard groups (irons, from a good rest though not a Ransom) and report those results, too. I'll start a new thread when I get it all done.
Levergun59

Post by Levergun59 »

It's the 3" barrel. Get a longer barrel and the standard deviations will go down. Even fast burning powder like N-310 will throw unburned powder out the front, therefore the deviation. Test is to get a plastic sheet spread out in front of the barrel, and when all the firing is done, gather the residue in a safe place and light it. The 3" barrel will be an eye-opener.
Chris