New Junior Shooter - equipment questions...

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

FireHawk

New Junior Shooter - equipment questions...

Post by FireHawk »

Have been shooting for years, but never in competition - so all of this is new to me.

My 11 yr old daughter has been shooting in a local program for almost 2 months now and she loves the smallbore shooting. She has started shooting in the prone position [and all equipment is provided by the gun club]. Her off-hand was bothering her while shooting , so I figured I would pick up a used shooting glove for her. The glove she was using seemed big...

Is there a better design to use for beginners? [fingerless, fingered]

Also, what should be the 'next' pieces of equipment to buy her? They have a jacket that fits her pretty good right now [she's growing like a weed], but I was thinking maybe a sling? Trying to purchase items that will make it better for her, without breaking the bank on items in case she falls out of favor with the sport or has another growth spurt.

They shoot Anschutz rifles, so I would need to get a sling & a clip - correct?

Also, any real differences in styles of slings, etc?

thnx....
bdutton

Post by bdutton »

I prefer a fingerless glove. The fit of the glove should be firm... not loose.

I also prefer a sling that is synthetic. 10pt9, champions choice and champions shooters supply all have decent synthetic slings for around $50. Gloves around 25-35.

I would start there. Sounds as if the club jacket works well enough.

How about shooting pants? That would make a big difference in the off-hand position. Does the club have any?
justadude

Post by justadude »

'Hawk

A few things about equipment:

First the glove, fingered or fingerless is a little bit personal preference. If it is for winter time and it tends to be cold on the range go for full fingered, summer time, hot climate -> fingerless. If she shoots off the top of her fist in offhand then fill fingered might work better.

Now, unless the story is "tried it once of twice but did not like it" gloves are not so expensive that I would really be interested in used. Shooting outdoors, summertime in the mid-Atlantic after about 3 summers there is no amount of Febreeze that can fix that kind of funk in my glove. Just a thought.

I don't usually point out specific vendors but Champions Choice http://www.champchoice.com/default.aspx has a line of house label gear at pretty reasonable prices. You can find their gloves for around $30.

As for a sling, having your own sling that you know and can repeat rather than reset-up each time is a fine thing. Gehmann offers a USAS/ISSF legal "junior" sling that can usually be found for around $40. I prefer a leather sling but there are legions out there who swear by their synthetic sling.

For a new shooter a small button style handstop/sling swivel would go with the sling. Again I think the Champions Choice house brand can be had for less than $20. That get you started. I personally use one that is a little taller as that cuts down on the crush factor on my hand between the sling and foreend.

As you may have noticed, you can spend some pretty obscene amounts of money on this stuff. For a new J3, this is not necessary.

So long as she can use a jacket that fits, stick with that, but her own personal jacket will be the next step.

Good Luck

'Dude
justadude

Post by justadude »

As for styles of slings,

There are some pretty complex slings out there most of this is not necessary.

For a new junior, simpler is better just make sure it is an ISSF/USAS compliant sling. Looked it up, the Gehmann I referred to in previous post is #433 for juniors/female shooters.

'Dude
FireHawk

Post by FireHawk »

thnx for the info...

Great point about the glove - didn't even think about that....

Hard part is buying items online without her trying them [glove for example]
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I'd go for a new glove personally or at least a lightly used one. Any of the reputable brands are genreally good and fingered or fingerless (for prone anyway) is personal preference - I prefer fingerless as my hands tend to overheat otherwise, even outdoors midwinter. As for slings, I just use a fairly simple (and cheap) synthetic sling, that would certainly be my advice for a beginner.

Rob.
justadude

Post by justadude »

Give the vendors a call, that old fashioned thing where you hear a person talking but they are not in the room. (OK just being a bit silly there) They can often talk you through the proper fit.

Most of the precision shooting suppliers are small family or just about family run businesses. While policies vary a little bit, most are happy to send you a size or two so you can make a quick try and send back the one that does not fit. Clearly you are expected to cover shipping.

While he does not have any "house brand" that I know of, another fellow, almost a one person show, is Neal Stepp at International Shooters Service (I.S.S.) He is in Ft. Worth TX (817) 595-2090.

'Dude
COBelties

Post by COBelties »

Just a matter of preference on the gloves. My junior shooters (Age 9-13) seem to prefer the open finger gloves, but none of them shoot off their fists. I have bought gloves from several companies and when in the "box" the juniors seem to gravitate to the Monard first and CC last. The Monard doesnt seem as bulky around their little fingers, not trying to endorse one over the other we have bought many many things through CC.