Stock setup chart and tips

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Gru

Stock setup chart and tips

Post by Gru »

Hello all,

I recently purchased a new rifle and I am finding that trying to set up the stock for three separate positions is more difficult than I think it should be.

I am wondering if anyone has any tips or suggestions as to a good starting point for each position (i.e. buttplate, cheekpiece, etc...).

I would also like to know if anyone has a chart or table in which you can write down settings and adjustments in an quick and easy to read format for future practice sessions or matches. I am currently just writing down a list for each position but am finding this difficult to keep clean and organized due to the seemingly endless updates and changes to the stock.

Thank you in advance,

Charlie
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

You really need to go through it with a coach experienced in position rifle shooting. There is a starting order to initially set things up, but you would need someone to help you get the positions right for the stock etc, its very hard to do unaided and get it right.

Rob.
BigAl

Post by BigAl »

As Rob said you really need the help of a coach to get this right. As a beginner you undoubtedly WILL get it wrong trying to set the rifle up without help. Even getting help from a more experienced shooter is likely to be better than nothing at all.

If you really must do this without help then I suggest reading the book Ways of the Rifle by Reinkemeyer, Eckhart, et al published by MEC. It is the current "bible" for positional shooters/coaches. The Air Rifle book by the same authors is good, and now has articles on 3P air rifle too. They are both quite expensive though. Unfortunately there is not an electronic version, which would be nice for taking to the range.

Alan