Pellet Trap for a 12 targets Target Paper.

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

conradin

Pellet Trap for a 12 targets Target Paper.

Post by conradin »

Does anyone know where to find one? That was one for sale from Ebay
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/171091985977
made by Neal Johnson.

I cannot seem to find a pellet trap like this one in any shop, and also whether it is made of wood or metal. Advice please.
FrankD

Post by FrankD »

Not sure whether some nations use such targets for some of their local matches and competitions. If it comes to ISSF air rifle shooting the target has to be ever at the same position and height.

If you use this targets you have to change your standing position for every shoot. This may be a good training for finding the right position but there is also much risk for learning bad shooting behavior. So for learning ISSF air rifle shooting it is much better not to use such targets, especially not for the first time.

If it comes to good rifle target shooting 'holding the rifle' is not the best phrase. Your body has to build a kind of bipod or stand for the rifle. Then you and your rifle will build one unit and the rifle will targeting at one point, the natural point of aiming, short NPA. To bring this NPA on the target you have to move (rotate) your whole body, not only the rifle with muscle force. For adjusting the right height on the target there are many fine adjustments. You can adjust the butt plate and you can use a slightly different position of your forehand and you can slightly change the position of your feets for more fine adjustment. The goal is never to hold the rifle with muscle force and never move the rifle with force in the middle of the target. More tension and force in your position will give ever more movement and wobbling.

Hope you understand now why it is not such a good idea to use multiple targets for the first steps.

As i said, buy or borrow a good book like 'Ways of the Rifle' from Reinkemeier, Bühlmann and Eckhardt.

Regards

Frank
Misny

Post by Misny »

Unfortunately, on this side of the pond, there isn't enough interest in club level air gun shooting for most clubs to have a range just for that activity. We adapt ranges that are already in place for other kinds of shooting competitions. At our club, we use the target shown for our NRA approved matches. This allows us to hold air rifle and air pistol matches concurrently, with both types of competitors on the line at the same time.

Now for the "trap". I'd say if you know someone who does woodworking as a hobby, you could have them build the appropriate sized box for the target. You can fill the box with a putty-like product called duct seal and screw on a couple of metal clips to hold the target in place. In the mean time, you can just get the appropriate sized cardboard box and fill it with old phonebooks, etc. or hang pieces of old carpet up inside it. Duct tape a metal clips to hold the target and you are ready to shoot. There are many plans on the internet regarding building the kind of trap that you want, as well as, the size you want.
Misny

Post by Misny »

Unfortunately, on this side of the pond, there isn't enough interest in club level air gun shooting for most clubs to have a range just for that activity. We adapt ranges that are already in place for other kinds of shooting competitions. At our club, we use the target shown for our NRA approved matches. This allows us to hold air rifle and air pistol matches concurrently, with both types of competitors on the line at the same time.

Now for the "trap". I'd say if you know someone who does woodworking as a hobby, you could have them build the appropriate sized box for the target. You can fill the box with a putty-like product called duct seal and screw on a couple of metal clips to hold the target in place. In the mean time, you can just get the appropriate sized cardboard box and fill it with old phonebooks, etc. or hang pieces of old carpet up inside it. Duct tape a metal clips to hold the target and you are ready to shoot. There are many plans on the internet regarding building the kind of trap that you want, as well as, the size you want.
conradin

Post by conradin »

FrankD wrote:
As i said, buy or borrow a good book like 'Ways of the Rifle' from Reinkemeier, Bühlmann and Eckhardt.

Regards

Frank
Thank you for your advice, Frank, I do have both the Ways of the Rifle and the Air Rifle Shooting book. I have been practicing the posture every day to get it right. I do understand the idea that, everything from the waist up, once set, is not movable except very fine adjustment. Right now I am working on my lower back and shoulders, so that I can prevent myself from slouching. I actually do not shoot the long arm much yet, because it is more important to get the posture right and dry fire. A mirror will help and I plan to get one. I decide not to hurry, so I switch my front element from 4.4 to 5.1. I need to hold the rifle steady first, and with each day passing, I am getting better.

The above target is not for me, but for my partner. She is an extremely experienced rifle shooter. I thought of using this target for her so that we do not need to keep changing target paper. Four target papers and that would be a match for her. She has no intention to compete but she does like to shoot the AR for fun and practice, since she is a very active hunter.
conradin

Post by conradin »

Misny wrote: Now for the "trap". I'd say if you know someone who does woodworking as a hobby, you could have them build the appropriate sized box for the target. You can fill the box with a putty-like product called duct seal and screw on a couple of metal clips to hold the target in place. In the mean time, you can just get the appropriate sized cardboard box and fill it with old phonebooks, etc. or hang pieces of old carpet up inside it. Duct tape a metal clips to hold the target and you are ready to shoot. There are many plans on the internet regarding building the kind of trap that you want, as well as, the size you want.
Currently we have lots of heavy thick wooden blocks the size of large bricks, and I simply tape the target on it. Very effective. Once the block is filled with pellets, I can move the location of the block, or use another. Wood is cheap, I get them at Home Depot and the customer service person is more than happy to cut the piece of wood into multiple blocks for me.

A pellet trap has the advantage of not having to keep changing the blocks after a few change of targets, also if I hang it on the back wall it is set. The distance and height are absolutely precisely measured. Taping a target paper on wooden blocks, and taping a new one after use, and changing the block after use...the target is not at a precise position.
TomAmlie

Post by TomAmlie »

A cardboard box stuffed with an old coat or jeans or blanket works well. Low tech, quiet, and cheap. Target can be held on box with tape or thumbtacks.
Jordan1s

Post by Jordan1s »

that pellet trap looks similar to the one sold by pyramidair; but in all honesty, fabrication of your own would be much cheaper(and fun!); all the pellet trap components can be purchased at the local hardware store for a fairly reasonable price.

If for whatever reason you have no access to a hardware store, the pyramidair pellet trap is sold here:

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Air_Ventu ... Putty/1018
adrianS

Post by adrianS »

My 12 bull target trap is a cardboard box stuffed with a ton of bubble wrap and clear plastic bag that I save. Compacted tightly, it does a great job and is silent. Everyonce in awhile I rearrange the plastic film inside the box. Dirt cheap. I wouldn't waste money on anything that isn't a target retrieval pulley.
conradin

Post by conradin »

The putty looks interesting..for those who live in the USA, where can I find it in home depot and what is it called?
montster

Putty is duct seal

Post by montster »

I have two traps with duct seal in them. Not sure they are better than a box of rags or plastic bags. Cost more and they are not maintenance free.

Duct seal can be found in the electrical area of home stores. Sometimes hard to spot. Ask for help.

I do think the one I have for outdoor use is great since it is a metal box and I leave it outside all the time. The box is a metal electrical junction box. 5 bucks from a store that resales recovered boxes. Duct seal is about 10 bucks for 5 bars. Screw in a spring clip to hold a cardboard backer and the paper target. I buy plastic coated for sales signs from dollar store as the backer. Very weather proof set up. I hang the target when shooting and take down and put on a table. No back and forth to the garage. Dig the lead nuggets out when I start seeing a few loose pellets fall from the trap. Nuggets go to a bullet casting friend.
PatrickS916

Post by PatrickS916 »

Jordan1s wrote:that pellet trap looks similar to the one sold by pyramidair; but in all honesty, fabrication of your own would be much cheaper(and fun!); all the pellet trap components can be purchased at the local hardware store for a fairly reasonable price.

If for whatever reason you have no access to a hardware store, the pyramidair pellet trap is sold here:

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Air_Ventu ... Putty/1018
i agree with Jordan1s here as i also built my own trap with some 2x4s and plywood lying around. i picked up a bunch of duct seal from home depot (cleared them out actually) and pressed it in the box. i screwed in some clips on the top to hold the 12 and 5 bull targets. Its not very expensive, quiet, and a good project if you are good with woodworking.
conradin

Post by conradin »

Thank you for all the suggestions! They are all economical and practical!
JasonM

Post by JasonM »

Feel free to take the tutorial that I wrote and included pictures for here and adjust as necessary for whatever size you want.

Jason's Simple Pellet Trap
http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/th ... Jason&apos
Jordan1s

Post by Jordan1s »

JasonM wrote:Feel free to take the tutorial that I wrote and included pictures for here and adjust as necessary for whatever size you want.

Jason's Simple Pellet Trap
http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/th ... Jason&apos
Awesome design! I might just copy it and make a few modifications of my own as I have most(if not all) of the pellet trap components lying around my garage workbench somewhere :)
Misny

Post by Misny »

Misny

Post by Misny »

Rover

Post by Rover »

Only TomAmlie got it right. The rest is just a ClusterFk.

It also seems to be the only solution within your construction skills, but perhaps you could supervise a crew capable of making them.
redschietti

Post by redschietti »

Frank D

All the local air matches are shot on double 12 bull targets. I don't know of any that are not, except national matches. For 3P air you hang 6 targets, 2 for each position at 3 heights. For standing (international) hang two, two more and two more. Changing NPA is very important!!

For at home use I made a frame of 2X6 big enough to hold all 6 targets and put a plywood back on it with a steel back on that. Cardboard front to attach the targets and contain the pellets. Use heavy cardboard.

james
Illinois USA
gwsb

Post by gwsb »

Excuse me but if I understand what you said, you shoot at a wooden block with the target taped to it. If that is the case I wish I was your eye doctor. As the mom in "Christmas Story", said" You are going to put your eye out with that thing".

Extremely dangerous. There are a lot of ways to stop pellets but you must make sure that they drop to the floor or stay inside the trap.