Sugestions for rifle selection for beginner in 50m prone.

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

tqb

Sugestions for rifle selection for beginner in 50m prone.

Post by tqb »

Hello,

What rifle would you sugest to start in 50m prone?

If possible include some older rifles which can be less expensive.

Thank You.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Tqb,

An Anschutz Match 54, Feinwerkbau, or Walther target rifle would be an excellent choice for a beginner at 50m prone.* Anschutz are the most common, but Walther and Feinwerkbau are not inferior. All are similar, but not exactly the same.

Most men will shoot a Free rifle, Such as the Anschutz Supermatch (model number 1413 = 1954-'76, 1613 = 1977-'79, 1813 = 1980-'87, 1913 = 1987-present), Walther KKM or GX1 (1970s-'95), KK200 (1995-2003), or KK00 (2003-present), or the Feinwerkbau 2000 Supermatch (1980), or 2600 (1990s), or 2602 and 2700. These are large and heavy rifles, typically weighing 6-7kg. The stocks are the most adjustable and generally offer the best fit, although it takes time and a coach to do this properly.

Many beginners will use a Standard rifle such as the Anschutz (1407, 1807, 1907), the Walther KK UIT, or Feinwerkbau Universal. These are lighter, typically 5kg, and the stock is much more basic, but quicker and easier to set up.

The simplest advice is to find the newest and least used rifle that you can afford. It's better to get a rifle that has a good barrel, and good sights, but a basic stock, than it is to buy a a rifle with a fancy stock but a poor barrel. It's not difficult to make a basic stock fit better (maybe not perfect, but better), but a bad barrel will never shoot well, and is expensive to replace.

*There are other brands: BSA, Centre 10, Diana, Hammerli, Remington, Schultz& Larsen, Tanner, Valmet, and Winchester are some. Some of these rifles are too old, and are much harder to shoot well. Also these rifles are no longer made, and spare parts are difficult, or impossible, to obtain.

Tim
Last edited by Tim S on Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Just a comment backing up what Tim nicely summarised above.

For me, a few years back now, I bought a secondhand 1813. I got to use that rifle as was for a few years before deciding I needed a stock that fitted me better, as I'm quite small. I'd always suggest to beginners doing something similar to start with and then upgrading stock and/or rifle in the future. The second hand route pretty much also ensures you don't lose money, or if you do it's only a small amount when you sell it on.

Rob.
tqb

Post by tqb »

Today I a shot a Anschutz Match 54.

I enjoyed the expirience, but as it would be expected, since it is my first time with a match rifle, I need to learn a lot.

I will have to adjust the buttplate, so it can move a bit more up.
My face when supported in the cheek piece does not allow me to view the front hood. Adjusting the buttplate should help a bit.

I'm short 1,71m and fat (98Kg), so I'm having dificulties in adjusting the hand stop as far as it should be. When I extend my left arm the rifles "drops".
Perhaps I can solve this by placing the elbow further?

Thank you for your help.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Tqb,

I glad that you enjoyed your first effort, this is meant to be fun.

Yes get your left (supporting) elbow as far forward as possible.

If you can't see through the sights with your head on the stock, moving the butt may help a little, but the stock may be too high/low for you.

I would find an experienced shooter who can advise and instruct you on correct body position, rifle adjustment, and technique.

Tim